how is it looking

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wasn't trying to get into a fight, i just asked a question about sps corals as i have only read about them and i wanted a more one on one source of information instead of a book... as for mng why is everything in my tank going to die? except for the fact that a tang in teh while is a sholling fish and needs a million gallons of room to frollic and i beleive everyones tank is to small in that aspect, seeing them in real life gives you a mental picture, but every soft coral i have was bought very small and then it has grown and fragged and grown and fragged... .. ill leave you all with a articall i read a month ago by coral magazine, on a man called Robert van Tilburg,,, if we all listens to each other all the time this man's aquaruim that is so small and compact and so heavily occupied by corals would never had a chance , not only that i think everyone in here shoudl take a look cause its a great article... ta ta

all we are doing is telling you what you asked for, you asked how your tank looked and we told you what we thought. also we are only telling you this for the betterment of your tank and from what we have learned through our experiences and what we have read of others experiences. everything might be looking healthy now but eventually your luck is going to run out.

yes thank you, and thanks to the moderator i dont know your real name but you always answer question and i don't know how you have so much time to answer everyone's questions.. and here is a question that iv'e been kinda wondering for some time, where can i find a estimates life span for these fish and coral... like how long does a regualr clownfish live or a cleaner shrimp.... in all the books i have bought they never say...

usually the best answer youll get on life span is by reading how long people have had them in there tanks, ive read for yellow tangs that some have lived for up to 12 years in a tank. also for mod names

bifferwine- sarah
ccCapt- larry
yote- joe

there is no set time on how long they live for shure that i have found but my clown has lived for about 9 years in my tank and every shrimp that i have had dies in about a year to a year and a half. coral will live forever if properly kept. but as this hobby goes any one of these animals can live for 1 day (if not care for) to many years

I hope my corals live forever! I am going to leave them to my grandchildren with special instructions...

realize that a lot of what you will find is personal account from the average aquarist and not necessarily scientific but, I found this: http://www.petplace.com/fish/top-20-saltwater-fish/page1.aspx the clowns numbers look good compared to what I have heard elsewhere. Also I think the less stress, the longer the life-span with regard to fish, and that's why matching your tank mates is so important

Last edited:
thanks for the names and info on years, i always thought that if i was buying fish or inverts that only lasted a year whats the point really... im starting to think that just growing coral is a better choice in the long run

and as for the dog thing, i eat fish and i dont eat dogs so i can't compare

Not sure what that means but if everything is doing great for 2 years then by all means keep it up. However, i doubt you have had the tang for 2 years and i am pretty sure its a matter of time before ich, fast breathing, losing his equilibrium, erratic swimming, etc. come in to play. Take it from me who had a tang in an 80 and ended up trading it for a baby tang because even my 80 started to give it a hard time. I cant imagine how much suffering it is for it in a 29 gal.

forgot to post up my old pics of the tank to give a comparison and i just found them so here are some ... all the fish are still alive just in my other tank because the sergeant major are beast and the eel eats everything except them so the live happily together

12345old.JPG

1234old.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
well when i first started putting soft coral in my tank about 4 months after starting, I fraged the center finger leather and put them in the cups to fasten onto rocks, becasue the cups could allow water in and out but not have any flow ... and it was very cheap to construct , it also brought them to the surface to recieve more light it worked well suprisingly

no way could your tank be up for 2 years, unless you have horrible water quality because coraline grows under great conditions.. and you have none...im on boat with capt all the way on this.. wow....

Last edited:
i don't want growth of coraline in my tank i keep nitrate a little higher then you most likely do.. thing is I read scientinfic data somewhere on the web about certain water chemistrys producing different outcomes in a saltwater reefs, i tried something different... my tank has been up and running for a beleive over two years my sergant majors that i caught down the road are 16 months old and my tank was set up a year before that... near perfect water chemistry might be a little bit different in my mind.

its just the pics show that your lying is all, so you have a lot to learn, why lie about it? this forum is to have people help. but its hard to help when you lie... thats my 2 cents worth..

ok im lieing a dont have good water quality my tang is not alive my sps corals dont have white type and have grown, my tank is only 3 days old and im a black man there clears everything up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back