how is it looking

Status
Not open for further replies.
and i wont even get into the idea that when i first bought my tank i was going to grow my trigger so one day i could eat it

29 gallon high 50$
one 30 - 50 gallon hob filter without filter pad 20$
1 T5ho t5-ho 3ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting 2 bulbs one white one blue 50$
1 seaclone 150 skimmer 80$
hob filter has cheato in it alos behind live rock
live rock added gradually mostly base rock that became live rock
first fish in tank after 4 months all died from spike in water peramters and killed off by ich... loss trigger tomatoe 2 damsels
next loss was dog face puffer from sergant majorm ich / eaten
next loss yellow tail damseleaten by snowflake eel
sergant major caught 2 as babies around 15 months and still alive
snowflake eel 8 months old still alive
sergant major and snowflake moved to new 20 gallon tank awaiting new homes
29 gallon new tank mates maroon clown , tang, 3 green chromis, still alive... corals all alive never lost one, nor anemones...

2 years or more 5 deaths over 100 different survivors

then the whole aquarium trade is cruel
thats not true, if you put a scopus tang in a 75 gallon tank it can live and full, happy, and healthy life. if you put that tang in a 29 gallon tank it may be fine for a few years but it will soon stress out from lack of space and die. tell me how option one is the same cruel thing as option two.

You're not under fire because you have a tang in a 29 gal tank. Everyone makes mistakes in this hobby. What the problem here is, is that you ignore our warnings as if somehow, by some special force, your tank can keep a tang alive. Its not a matter of "if", its a matter of "how fast".

Good luck and yes, this thread is the first showcase thread that has gone nowhere IMO.

+1 CC/CT

I've got a guy at work like this...he knows better and has a yellow tang & a baby shark in his 40 gallon. And he's talking about getting an octopus.

Go figure.
Why post on a forum when you already "know" the answer?

hey guys, I was in a pet store getting a seaweed clip and a new fish net yesterday and I stopped to look at a large display they have (Which by the way was having a HUGE Cyano outbreak). As I wondered away, a girl walked up behind me and says to the employee who greeted her, "Oh, he's beatiful" (referring to the large yellow tang). "Mine won't get that big right?", she asked. He informed her that they will all grow to be that big or bigger if properly cared for. You want to guess the next words out of her mouth????

"Really? You mean even if he's in like only just a 20 gallon?"

FAIL!

why do people seem to think that fish will only grow to a size appropriate for there tank, i dont understand it. that reminds me of a story i read on RC about a guy who worked at a LFS. it went like this

worker: can i help you with something today ma'am
women: yes id like to buy this fish (talking about a full grown emperor angel, this guy said it was the most beautiful one he has ever seen)
worker: ok let me bag that for you
worker: so what size tank do you have
women: i dont have one
worker:.........
women: put i can get this (picking up a 5 gallon fish bowl)
worker: ma'am that fish wont even fit through the opening of the tank

the guy telling the story added more detail but i dont remember it so ill stop there because you get the point

then the whole aquarium trade is cruel

if you think it is curel than why do you have one. maybe for you it is but as for my fish they live great full lives they are better off in my tank than in somebody like yours who dont care if they are taken care of no that is cruel.

i bought the tang from a store that had him and 3 others in a 15 gallon tank one is still there do you believe this fishes fate would have had a better chance where it was? if this tang lives 2 years, what says it hasn't died of old age?
this is not an issue that only lies with me, being on here everyone has suggested tanks larger then 100 gallons yet a lot of literature I've read says 50 gallons or above, 30 gal or above , 150 or above... i mean i listen to most everyone advice on here , but some things i don't and to say im like a girl who walks into a fish store trying to put, what was it an emperor angle, into a 5 gallon fish bowl is a little bit of a vast visulization i think. and i dont even blame that women for thinking that cause i bet everyone on here at one point pictured an aquarium that held everything in there home or even still do and it didnt matter what size. i just think until someone gave me a chart of document deaths of tangs in the wild with their ages, documented deaths in 29 gal tanks or 50 for that matter maybe i would not have bought it.. so far my tang looks great, if i told everyone on here my tank was 100 gallons i bet everyone woudl have even said wow nice lookign fish..
i still have never heard so many people argue about animal cruelty over a fish it really is something new to me ... but out of curiosty how many of you have added a fish that you replaced because of this problem in tank size?

oh yes how could i forget that a fish isnt an animal, dumb me. also if your tang as only been in captivity for 2 years and isnt pushing upwards of 8 or so inches it isnt going to die of old age

i had one fish that i put into my tank when it was about 3 inches to hold for a person that was setting up his 220 but it was only in my tank for a couple days. other than that i have never put a fish in my tank that will out grow it. as for tangs they can live for many years. any fish i buy gets researched to make shure that it will not out grow my tank right now i have about 6-8 inches of fish in my 75 and that is only 4 fish and i have had them all for over 3 years and the clown for almost 10 years.

its people like you that destroy this hobby and make people want to ban this hobby.

off to find some coraline I presume?

Seriously though: Listen to the advice and have a heart. THAT FISH IS GOING TO DIE! If you don't care, then maybe you should consider a picture instead of a real tank. Either way, whether you choose to graciously accept our advice and remain on the forum or not, PLEASE be responsible. This hobby requires a level of maturity that should be taken seriously.

I think that tang would live a much better, stress-free life if that guy added a sunken pirate ship with the air bubbler to go along with the plastic plants. Much more entertaining for the fish to realize it's in solitary confinement.
Someone I know who I suggested this was a bad idea added a copperband butterfly AND a sailfin tang to a 29g, 2 months later, 2 dead fish.
As for coralline...if this guys tank is 2 years old, then I'm the Queen of England. Just my own opinion after viewing the pics.
Also if those SPS were "growing rapidly", I'd assume they'd have a little more color. Maybe those "higher than you guys" nitrate levels have something to do with that, I dunno...

jag.. if you read correctly you would see that the plastic plants were from when i first set it up, second the Monti are growing not the acro, thirdly the colors depend a lot on lighting if you knew as much, and fourthly you are the queen of England don't lie...

and why would i want Coraline to grow in my tank, you have to scrape it off constantly and it coats everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back