How to secure return pump in sump?

Awol

Reefing newb
So I have a 2400GPH Mag drive pump. However, right now it doesn't have any suction cups (which from what I read don't do squat anyway) or any other method to secure it in place in my sump.

How do I attach/secure it to my sump without vibrations / constant pressure shoving it around and possibly weakening my PVC joints.

Tank is still dry, no plumbing done yet, etc so the sky is the limit here.

Thanks!

I have a MagDrive and I don't have it secured with anything. It doesn't vibrate or make noise. But, if you want to, go ahead to a hardware store and buy a piece of foam to insulate it.

Preferably do not use insulating foam as it breaks into pieces which then ends up in your tank, covering your strainers, fouling your ATO floats and in general getting in trouble. Get closed cell foam like that used as roll up sleeping mats or exercise mats, or even the foam tubing used to insulate hot water pipes. There really should be a piece of flexible line (PVC flexible pipe or vinyl tubing over a 1 to 2 inch gap in your PVC pipe) near your pumps inlet and outlet to reduce vibrations damage to rigid PVC piping when using a large pump or any pump much over 1000 to 1200 gph, or 100 watts. With out it you face increased chances of developing leaking solvent welded joints, and a loosening of threaded joints at the pump.

Last edited:
Back