Hungry Brittle star.

frugm

Reefing newb
So i made the mistake of picking up a Chromis from Pet-co.. Needless to say he only lasted a couple of days. But what worries me slightly was i was checking my tank that night and low and behold my brittle star was munching on him. Then today a few days later I was feeding my dry fish flakes and the brittle star makes a point of coming out and grabing the flakes, Hes not shy.

So this tells me hes getting hungry, two questions. By eating the fish is there a chance they may get the taste for fish/corals. Two, is there anything prefferable I should feed him rather than flakes or shall i just let him remain the scavanger?

Brown and fir i`ll snag a pic of him.

I apologise for the bad quality he was hiding in a rock :frustrat:

Last edited:
My brittles will do that sometimes to.
Just give him a taste a couple of times a week and the rest of the time let him fend for himself.

He'll come out to eat when you feed the fish. That's normal. The small, brown ones (like yours) usually will not go after live fish. If he was eating the fish, it was already dead by the time the star got to it.

I have green, brown, and red Brittle stars and I have determined they will eat almost anything. And yes they are pigs! I think if you have smaller fish in your tank you should keep the stars well fed or you run the chance that they will go after your fish.

Back