I just cooked my tank...

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
2 days ago I noticed all my usually beautiful corals were all tucked in their skeletons as far as they could go. I checked the temp and it was 89.6! I had added an additional heater a day before due to the temp. being several degrees from my usual 78. I set them to about 75 and not even 24 hours later my tank was 86! So I took the extra heater out and left the original one in. I come home today from work and my new frogspawn is nothing but skeleton and my huge colt looks like a big blister. What can I do that will give me a constant temp? What chiller should I get and what heater? I have a 60 gallon with 10 gallon sump. Thanks.

I use the Visi-Therm stealth heaters.The ones encase in plastic,been working like a charm.Its good to replace them once a year and on the chiller,never use ones so I dunno.I hear JBJ Artica chillers are nice.Sorry couldn't help more.

Hope things get better

Im running the stealths in the sump. 4 - 250w ea. set few degrees apart. the difference is im using a controler for the chiller and heaters so if the heaters stick the controller will cut power to um at a predetermined set temp.

I've found heaters to really be hit or miss. I've probably tried half a dozen different brands, and have found no consistency so far. It's a shame that we hear this kind of story so often.

It's sorta my own fault...I'm using a heater I've had for years(with no probs) and an inherited heater... I was asking for it :(

Is there a chiller/heater combo?

jhnrb said:
Im running the stealths in the sump. 4 - 250w ea. set few degrees apart. the difference is im using a controler for the chiller and heaters so if the heaters stick the controller will cut power to um at a predetermined set temp.

Where can I get one of these controllers? It would be great piece of mind to know that something will cut the power to my heater before they turn to soup.

If all you want to do is run your heaters then a single stage controller will work. there are several out there and they are usually used for chillers but can be used for heaters as well. you can check premium aquatics, marine depot, dr. foster and smith, etc. aqualogic are the ones i am using.

Back