im so UPSET..

RigoSharon

LIVING REEFS INTERN
I LOST ONE OF MY OCCELARIS CLOWNS..im so upset about it...a huge crab grab it and was eatting it..
heres a pic of the crab..well whats left of him..my foot still sores a bit
DSC03669.jpg

his nigth snack..

DSC03670.jpg

ahhgg...i should know better..damn crabs...a good lesson ill never forget..

Rigo,

My friend, I am so sorry for your loss. As much as I love my angelfish, I have always found a sense of completion in my tank having my pair of clowns hanging out in their BTA.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

It looks like a sally lightfoot. Or what's left of a sally lightfoot. My sally lightfoot ate two of my fish! I hate those crabs!

really dont know what kind it was...one of those "freaking" hitchikers...i saw him once in a while..didnt think he was gonna cause such damage..he was big as a quarter..

That's definitely not an emerald crab. Emerald crabs will only go after fish when they reach sexual maturity, and then they are BIG. If it was the size of a quarter, it's probably a sally lightfoot.

thanks..i know too that its not an emerald..i have a few of them in my 10 g and no problems with them so far..i just wanted to be shure about the behavior of emeralds cause i dont want to lose the firefish or the remaining clown sniff, sniff,.....

Looks like that lightfoot met your heavyfoot. hehe! sorry about your clownie tho. :(

(note to self: don't buy any crabs for new tank)

Sorry for lost Rigo,at least the crab got a gourmet meal before it met its maker.
The body was to mangled to get a positive ID.

For me,I would never willingly put any crab in my tank except those hitchhiker acro crabs and porcelain crabs.The sallys,emeralds and hermits can all go to hell!

Hmm. maybe the clownie was already dead and the crab was just scavenging it? :-/ Like a vulture crab?
for a moment that cross my mind..the fact is that they were swiming ok with the firefish..i went to the room, here chatting, then before going to bed i went to see the tank and there it was,,,the other clown today is so stressed...i will have to go and buy him a compannion...

That was neither a sally light foot nor an emerald.
That is whats left of a gorilla crab.They are predators that perfer fish over anything else.

Sorry about you clown Rigo.

But happy you got revenge.

thanks yote...my firefish and other clown are ok..well my remaning clown is so stressed..i think i need to get him a new partner ..cause hes running all the aquarium desperate...they had a tough nite

i used to had a big emerald in my tank that ate a sixline and some other things but i forgot.feed the crabs to the mantis

when you get the other clown a new friend, make sure it is either much larger or smaller than the current one. They might fight if they are the same size.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back