Inexpensive but good.

Waddi

Shenanigans?
So im trying to find lights, the last thing i need to finally get started on setting up my tank. But i cannot find any, and i was wondering if bulbs like this that are 200w would be suitable for my 50 Gallon tank?
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/7200067490/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d4_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0MQH0PCCNVN4S73BVMPX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846]Amazon.com: Double Ended 150Watt 14000K Metal Halide Aquarium Bulb R7S: Home Improvement[/ame][ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/7200067490/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d4_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0MQH0PCCNVN4S73BVMPX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846"][/ame]

Metal halides only come in 70w, 150w, 175w, 250w and 400w. If you have a 3' tank, 1 250w MH will be fine.

The only problem with ^ that is im in Canada, and postage is kinda high. But i was thinking of doing some DIY and making my own light, (like a desk lamp) then clip it over the tank, and buy a 200w bulb for it. Or not???

ballasts are what power the light bulbs...

You're probably not going to be able to build lights for less than you can buy them. Look online for used equipment, or your local LFS, people are getting out of the hobby or upgrading all the time.

No, look at the picture of the link I posted. That's all it comes with. The mounting hardware. One the page you posted, click on the link of what you actually put in your shopping cart. They are not selling the light, or the part of the light that holds the bulb. They are selling the hardware that mounts it to the wall. It says, "Wall mount hardware -- $25". I think their webpage is misleading and incorrect.

Biff if it werent for you i would be a gonna!! Thank youuuuuu!!!!
You guys are great i really appreciate the help.

Yeah I would shoot them an email or call them if I were you, and let them know that the item they are advertising on that page is different than the item it adds to your shopping cart if you click it. That could screw a lot of people up!

Ok so i have found out that the link you gave me Biff, is if i want to mount it to a wall behind the fish tank.
Dcantuscon, that is the light with everything all ready setup.
But the link i showed you guys was the lamp, without a ballast or a bulb.
So my idea was to order it, the go to Canadian Tire and buy a ballast (because they are very cheap there) and i already have a 150w double ended bulb.
Makes sense?

But the link i showed you guys was the lamp, without a ballast or a bulb.
So my idea was to order it, the go to Canadian Tire and buy a ballast (because they are very cheap there) and i already have a 150w double ended bulb.
Makes sense?
The link you posted shows a pic of the light, but that's not what you get. The $25.89 price is for the wall mount hardware only. It does not include anything else. No swingarm, no reflector, no bulb, no ballast. Nothing but the hardware to mount the unit.

That price ($25) is actually only for the wall-mount hardware, not the light itself. It's pretty misleading and it doesn't look like they are selling the actual light -- just the hardware needed to mount it.

No, look at the picture of the link I posted. That's all it comes with. The mounting hardware. One the page you posted, click on the link of what you actually put in your shopping cart. They are not selling the light, or the part of the light that holds the bulb. They are selling the hardware that mounts it to the wall. It says, "Wall mount hardware -- $25". I think their webpage is misleading and incorrect.

Yeah I would shoot them an email or call them if I were you, and let them know that the item they are advertising on that page is different than the item it adds to your shopping cart if you click it. That could screw a lot of people up!

The link you posted shows a pic of the light, but that's not what you get. The $25.89 price is for the wall mount hardware only. It does not include anything else. No swingarm, no reflector, no bulb, no ballast. Nothing but the hardware to mount the unit.

:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

Back