Introduce yourself with pics.

Hi all. I have been on this site a hundred times thanks to the wonderful tool that is Google. I finally decided to just join up so I can actually post replies and access all the features. I am happy to be a part of your group and hope to visit often. A little about me:

I live in Ontario, Canada and have been there my entire 34 years of my life so far. I have a beautiful wife that I've been with for about 16 years, and together we have just one child. A beautiful little 5 year old girl named Jersey. I am a team leader/lead hand @ an automotive manufacturing plant in Ontario Canada and have been employed there since 2001. I have had aquariums for most of my life, but only got serious about it in the last 5-6 years when I got into saltwater. I started out with a little 55g and realized rather quickly that just a few fish maxes out the bioload. I upgraded from that 55g to my current 300g acrylic tank which has been running now for about 3 years.

A little info on my current setup:

300g acrylic RR tank(96"x30"x24"), plumbed to a 180g(72"x24"x24") acrylic sump/refugium which is located in the basement. I have an E.T.S.S. 1800 XR Pro skimmer, calcium reactor, carbon/gfo reactors(ditching the carbon and the gfo for bio pellets), lighting is 3x400w 20,000k halides. Reefkeeper elite controller. Water pushed back upstairs via a Reeflo Hammerhead pump(also have 1 as a spare just in case of emergencies). There's more crap I'm sure that I just can't think of right now.

Livestock: I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flack from the "tang police", but here goes.

12" Vlamingi tang
12" Yellowfin tang
4" Sailfin tang
6" Maculiceps tang
5" Chevron tang
5" Fowleri tang
4" Pale lipped tang
5" Hippo tang
4" Blue eyed bristletooth tang
6" Naso tang

Now for the other fish:

3" Black saddleback clownfish
4" Female white stripe Maroon clownfish and her 2.5" Gold stripe maroon clownfish partner
2x cleaner wrasses which despite all odds are alive and well and don't fight.

All my fish get along great and are very very fat. My Maculiceps is over 1" thick and my Vlamingi and Yellowfin are easily 2"+ thick. I only have a couple pics on my phone, but I'll add some more when I get a chance.

Thanks for reading and thanks for letting me be a part of the "gang". Feel free to ask me questions about my setup/livestock(or give me advice, whatever you feel). Thanks again and I hope I can get to know some of you.

Attachments

• %231_pale_lipped_tang(1).jpg
    %231_pale_lipped_tang(1).jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 194
  • fam_pic_2011.jpg
    fam_pic_2011.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 221
  • peu_20120423_2.jpg
    peu_20120423_2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Your are welcome. Actually I should have written Welcome to the "gang" Mr.Tang..whould have been a little rhyming ...

How do you have all the Tangs together in the same tank . How did you manage to keep them calm and not fighting with each other..

I think its got a lot to do with how much they eat. As I said, they are all very very fat. They get along great. I toss a rather large chunk of a frozen concoction I bought off a fellow reefer into the tank and they all swarm it until its gone. I also feed a mitt full of new life spectrum pellets(by mitt full I mean a large pinch lol), as well as a sheet or two of dried seaweed/nori. Of course at first when you add a new inhabitant, they have to establish the "pecking order", but that usually only takes a day, maybe 2 and after that........all is good.

I do love my tangs. They are by far some of the nicest fish. I do have plans for an even larger tank, but not until I sell my current house. I have slowly been adding to my tang collection. I think I've just about hit my limit now though.

I see nothing wrong with your tang tank :shock: Tang police only strikes when the tank is too small ;) In fact, I'm totally jealous!

Welcome to the site! Very beautiful family you got there! Can't wait to see more pics of your tank :D

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. The yellowfin will end up being the largest fish I have. Yellowfins are the largest tangs of the Acantharus genus getting upwards of 2.5' in the wild. I've heard of them getting up to 18" in the home aquarium. I think my favorites right now are the Maculiceps, the Fowleri and the Pale lipped. The Vlamingi is the gentle giant of the tank. No matter what fish goes in the tank, she just minds her own business. Anyone with a large enough tank should get a Vlamingi. She's always right out front following me along the length of the tank. When I hold a chunk of frozen food just under the waters surface, they have a feeding frenzy @ my fingertips. Its awesome, I love it. They eat like pigs and polish off whatever I put in.

Welcome, and I'm totally jealous of your tangs!! What an awesome set up, and totally enough room in there for them. I can't wait to someday have a large set up with a nice mix of tangs, a few large angels and a pink-tailed trigger :)

Thanks Fishy. I love all the tangs!! I'm a fiend for tangs. I used to have an orange shoulder tang a few years back. Loved it! Grew fast and was super docile. Always out front constantly swimming the length of the tank.

Back