Is my lighting enough for clams?

Rcchanlder

Reefing newb
I know this is a popular question. I and setting up a 75. i have 4 T-5 ( 2 actinic and 2 blue plus) in a TEK fixture. i was going to add a couple of white T-8 40 watt on the front. I am wanting to keep some soft corals and perhaps some clams. Suggestions that stay within a decent budget?

i think that the t8's are a mistake, spurious emmitions, light spectrum thats all over the place, and not to metion what i'm learning myself right now in my new tank...... apparently using "normal" non fish lights, causes mad algal growth... so i'm being told...

thats what im trying to get worked out. I thought the 2 t-8 full spectrum would add some whit light. i could change out one of my t-5 blue's for a 10k daylight thats not going to help me on the watts though

I know you're trying to stay in a budget, and I totally understand that, believe me!! However, if you have some time, keep your eyes peeled on Craigs List for a decent metal halide system. That will allow you to keep just about any type of coral/clam that you fall in love with. You won't be so limited in your choices.

The normal output T8's have minimal PAR. It's not the wattage, it's PAR that matters. With 4 blue T5 bulbs, you would even be pushing your luck with any soft corals. You need to get at least 2 daylight (10k) bulbs in there for some PAR. Or even better yet, get all whites in the T5 and just use regular T12 atinics instead of the T8's. They use the same ballast.

You want to look for low light clams, like a derasa or squamosa.

Put two daylights in place of the actinics on the Tek fixture and it should be good for soft and LPS corals and derasa clam.

Stick to low-light clams. Maxima's and others need lots of light and will not last long under the lights you have.

So, with two 54 watt 10k daylights, 1 54 watt 6500k blue, and one actinic what is the general though of being able to keep the clams? would it be enough for a maxima or Crocea

I think so. Especially if you put the crocea up high in the rocks. Four T5 bulbs over a 75 is not a ton of light, but you could try a clam.

yeah, i think im going to go for it after things get up and running for a couple of weeks. im going to pick up a cleanup crew today. the sand bed had all kinds of stuff growing on it yesterday

Back