Is one par38 enough?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
So here's the situation. I have a marineland reef capable led that I've been running for over a year now and the othe day I noticed the plug that plugs into the fixture was very hot. So I went to unplug it and noticed if you move the cord around the light flickers and shorts out. So I pulled out the plug and the little plastic fitting on th plug has melted partially.

So I'm either going to call marineland (their hold time is greater than 30 mins right now) or just get a new light so I don't have this happen again. I would like a better quality light anyways. Problem is I don't have the funds to dish out for a fancy fixture and it's only for a ten gallon so I don't wanna spend a ton anyways. I was thinking a par38 bulb from rapidled with 80 degree optics.
12 LED PAR38 Bulb (Mixed Color with UV) - Rapid LED
Would this one be okay to cover the whole 10g with no worries? Or is it going to spotlight?

My PAR 38 is about 11-12 inches above my ten gallon and it is fine. The newer PAR38 from them should be even better than the one i have. You might also talk to FishyReef about hers. I think she has the newer one.

You can always replace the plug. However, I think it is odd that an LED fixture would draw enough current to melt a plug. There might be something internally wrong with it. I would also wait till after you talk to marineland before opening or nodding the fixture

1 par38 would be fine - thats what I have. The bulb you linked to is the one I would recommend, though that is even a newer version than the one I have, which doesn't have the UVs in it. I really like the mix of colors in the new bulb.

Well my thing is, is I don't want to have Marineland send me another fixture of th same thing and then two more years down the road I have the same problem. I've read online many many people having the same issue as me but it happened a lot sooner than mine. I don't feel like tearing it apart either. It's not worth the time and effort and idk wha I'd be doing anyways. I am leaning more towards the par38 with the uv. It looks really nice.

I got ahold of marineland and they are going to send me out a new fixture but i think i still am going to get the par38.

I would try the par38 for a 10 gallon, since you only need one. Their new bulb looks super cool too, and I've seen some really neat fixtures that people use as well.

One PAR38 should be more than sufficient for a 10 gallon, it will give you at least the amount of light that the marineland did, probably significantly more

The par38 that you linked will be more than enough for a 10-gallon tank.
You will want to place it high enough (at least 12") to get a good light spread.

Regarding the Marineland fixture, it sounds like you got a defective unit to begin with. Under normal conditions, there should not be that much wear and tear on the cords and plug to cause the insulation to chafe.

My hunch is that it is a manufacturing defect on the electric cord. The conductor was already probably partially cut but the outside insulation was fine.

Do you think if I just go with one par38 it will give me a spotlight effect. Bright in the middle and dimmer towards the sides? Im thinking of gettin two just to be safe.

I have just 1 and its fine. I don't really get spotlighting and have it two feet off the tank. The only shading I have in my tank is from my powerheads. They are powerful lights and I think 2 would be overkill for a 10g - not enough depth to put your corals that are more light sensitive and would likely burn them.

Most LED pendant lights have a 2'x2' spread. You will be fine. If it spot lights a little, you can always raise it. You don't want to over power it.

You can always replace the plug. However, I think it is odd that an LED fixture would draw enough current to melt a plug. There might be something internally wrong with it. I would also wait till after you talk to marineland before opening or nodding the fixture

It the plug was loose... it would heat up and eventually melt.. as it gets hot the problem gets worse,

I would not be surprised if the par light method is not the wave of the future.. reason.. power per ..and ease of use.. as time goes on they will get very good at the colors as they have done with T3.

Last edited:
Hehe why buy one when you can have two for twice the price....lol....j/k I would think one on a 10 would be enough....but hey if you want a spot on the big tank why not....

Back