Jellyfish? What's up with that?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Monday, I saw a little jellyfish in my tank. It was weird because I haven't added anything to my tank in forever! It was super tiny, maybe the size of a smiley face: :) That's actual size. The thing zipped around and hid in my rocks. I looked and looked Tuesday and didn't see him so I figured he became a late night snack or maybe I imagined him. I added the stuff from Tampa Bay Saltwater Wednesday. Yesterday, I saw three or four of them. I caught one and moved it OUT of my pony tank. This morning I saw a couple more. What's up? I've heard these are hard to keep so I thought they would just die, are they actually going to live and get bigger in my tank? Most important question: can a tiny jellyfish hurt my ponies? What should I do about these things? I would HATE to kill them!

thanks,
Catherine

The main reason that jellies dont last long,is our filtration and pumps usually get them.And some jellies actually attach themselves to rock at different stages in their life cycle.
I also think it would be a good idea to get them out of the pony tank.I dont know that the jellies would hurt the horses,but dont think I would take that chance.

Thanks, Yote. I wonder if mine are staying around because I don't have the water flow that most tanks have. Hmmmm, I'm going hunting with my net tonight!

C

I had a jellyfish in my 240 once. And I hadn't added anything in forever. It disappeared after a few days, though. I too would be worried about their effect on seahorses.

Man, I want a jellyfish! not in this tank, but in a seperate tank :D

that would be fair cool! hahaha

remember the one i pulled outta my tank ages ago? its STILL alive sitting in a cup of SW at the LFS with NO movement what so ever... still the size of a smiley... I'd get em outta there but hang onto em in a cup and give em some plankton every once in a while :) i wish I woulda kept mine because the dude don't wanna give him back... i didn't think he'd survive this long in a CUP of all places! lol.

they prolly won't bug your ponies but i wouldn't chance them reproducing and causing problems later on.... does it look like a baby moon jelly? thats what I think mine was

Sharkie, every day I scoop 2-3 of these buggers outta my seahorse tank, I would be happy to send you some if you want?

C

Hey Catherine it would be really cool to see a picture of these little guys in your tank. Please? :)

Yeah, that's not going to happen. When you see them it's hard to follow them, they are really tiny and really fast. sorry, guys. I'll give it a try next time I see one but don't hold your breath

C

Back