jhnrb-150 reef

Looks fantastic. How long did it take you to get the tank like that?

2 years to build system, and that picture is at 3 months water. If you have not followed my thread, circumstances beyond my control forced me to add animals prior to the time I wanted to. so Ive been messing in the tank almost daily until this week end, took time to feed everything (corals) and do some house keeping. My setup procedure (time wise 3 months) is not recommended for those not well versed in the hobby, so, dont do as I do, patients is the best advise I can give. Plan out each move, decide where you are going with your system and install the equipment that will make it happen with a good maintenance program and you will do just fine. As long as your systems bioload is not more than the system can handle, and your water parameters are stable and balanced, you can move a bit faster, but after each addition you must test your water parameters and see what the effect on the system is. the tests will tell you when to stop.

I always thought plates were easy.I wouldn't know since I never had one.
What is considered easier,the long tentacle or short one?

I hear that large tentacled plate corals are very difficult to keep. Have you found that, John?

Ive had good luck with um, but, I do feed too, so might be the reason. They do require adeqaute lighting. we will see how they do as I have one at each end.

I always thought plates were easy.I wouldn't know since I never had one.
What is considered easier,the long tentacle or short one?

Actually I have two long tentacle plates and one short tentacle plate. There are different plates within the families so could be some are more difficult than others. Ive never had much difficulty with um myself. we will see.

Not to answer for him ,

I heard if the main plate gets Torn they Go under real quickly

One thing about plates, is if you get any air under the plate you will most likely loose it. If air/gas builds up under the plate they must be able to move to get away from it or you will also loose um. any plate that is exposed to the air is subject to being loss also. hope this clears up some of it.

John,I was wondering what kind of controller you were using to run your system and what was the cost.

I seen all in one controllers for heaters,powerheads,lights,ATO and dosers.Some even connected to your PC.Having a bunch of cheapo timers for everything sucks.

John,I was wondering what kind of controller you were using to run your system and what was the cost.

I seen all in one controllers for heaters,powerheads,lights,ATO and dosers.Some even connected to your PC.Having a bunch of cheapo timers for everything sucks.

I USE AN AQUA CONTROLLER JR. WITH TEMP PROBE & 4 DC-4 DIRECT WIRE BOXES TO CONTROL MY LIGHTS AND FANS IN THE HOOD, i USE THE AQUA CONTROLLER FOR THE CHILLER, HEATERS, AND EQUIPMENT ROOM FAN. FOR THE AQUA CONTROL JR. COST WHEN I PURCHASED IT 126 CONTROLLER WITH TEMP PROBE ONLY, DC-4 15 AMP RATED BOXES 3 EA FOR A TOTAL OF 12 PROGRAMABLE OUTLETS AT 150 EACH SO A TOTAL OF 600 DOLLARS. IVE BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH IT. NOW IF YOU DO NOT NEED 12 OUTLETS AND CAN GET BY ON 8, THERE ARE SOME CONTROLLER PACKAGES OUT THERE OF SEVERAL MANUFACTURERS A LOT CHEAPER, HOWEVER, THE AQUACONTROLLER JR AND OTHER MODELS OF THIS LINE HAS A REAL MOON LIGHT AND LIGHTING CYCLE THAT DUPLICATES 15 DEGREES NORTH LATATUDE.

Thanks John,I was actually looking at the Aqua Jr. and the Neptune.Any experience with the Neptune or heard anything good or bad about them.What I'm looking for now is to control lights,heaters,ATO,powerhead and maybe a doser.I think the more the better.

When you get a chance read the Neptune controller features from Marine Depot and tell me what you think...here is the link......Neptune Aquacontroller 3 (Backlight) w/ Temperature Probe (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Testing Equipment > Monitor Equipment > Multi Item Monitors & Controllers )

Thanks again!

The three is the upper end of the line of controllers and does more than the jr. does, it will also handle more probes, can be computer based, and will handle more items than the jr. I personally have a aquacontroller II as a back up in case I need it. Cant go wrong in my opinion. That unit is capable of controlling all your stuff. It will do as advertized.

Some corals in the system.

IM005066.JPG

IM005075.JPG

IM005078.JPG

IM005093.JPG

IM005096.JPG

IM005102.JPG

IM005104.JPG

Last edited:
Back