Kenya tree

littleyea1

Reefing newb
I bought a frag of a kenya tree about a week ago in daytona beach the only frag coral place near where I live and the store owner said that it was a fast grower and would spread, I was like ok I enjoy new soft corals though it wasn't exactly the one i wanted I wanted the white tree anyway, I thought he said I didn't need to fee it anything and it would grow on just my light, I don't know if anyone has any suggestions on if i should feed it or what suppliments I should be adding to my tank for it thanks.

if i were you i would get rid of that weed now. you dont need any thing special for it to grow just light and good wate prams. you will hate that thing in a few months.

I had one in my old tank. Tried to get rid of it when I moved everything to the 125. Its still there. You wont like it in a little while.

the kenya is like having weeds in your yard you cant get rid of them they just spread. many people have tried and tried to get rid of them buy cutting every last peice out of their tank and a few weeks later they are back. if you like it than great but i just wanted to say that they grow and spread like crazy

I'll bet that you end up regretting buying that kenya weed.
I've been trying to get rid of them for over a year now.Tryed anything and everything to kill them out.Nothing works.

Buying one tiny little kenya tree was the biggest mistake I have ever made in my 8 years of reef keeping. They spread like a plague, compete with and choke out all your other corals, and you cannot kill them. I have to manually remove them by hand, I throw up to 3 lbs away in the trash at a time, and a couple weeks later they come right back. You cannot even pay people to take them off your hands, because they are such a pest (my LFS won't buy them back). My one little kenya tree spread so fast and so prolifically that it has ended up killing hundreds of dollars of REAL corals. I would definitely throw it in the trash now before it gets a chance to take over every inch of your rock. If you want to keep it, there is no need to feed it or add anything special to your tank.

What doesn't kill it, makes it stronger. Nothing kills it. Therefore, anything you do only makes it stronger. It's pointless. It's futile. Give up now. There's no point in trying.

Biff,Next time your pulling kenyas,drop them in a glass of water with a S.G. of 1.005 and see how it takes them to open.

Dude, I pureed them down my garbage disposal followed by a cup of bleach to kill the stinky out of water coral smell and somehow I bet you they still lived. I've probably got a kenya weed plantation growing in my sewer lines.

I had the same experience with my Kenya tree. It started growing all over the place. I had to cut it off with a razorblade everywhere and yes, is grows back. Mine still grows despite the fact that I cut it as it grows... I must say that I agree with everyone. Get rid of it before it takes over. You'll hate yourself down the road if you decide to keep it. Unless you want your rocks to be covered with it..

wow never thought a coral could be hated so much.. i shoudl probbaly right a book on all the bad things to buy for your tank because i wind up buying all the crap slatwater fish and inverts out there .. b ut they all doo great

Back