Kev's new 20 gal. reef sump free

this might be a stupid thing for me to say, but shouldnt you fill it up full to do the leak test? every tank i've had that leaked, leaked within 3-5 inches from the top... not the bottom..

Added sand. Making progress! yea.

HPIM0319.jpg

i wouldnt bother with a skimmer, dont mean to step on toes.
i would say its a waste of money on a 20gallon a simple 5 gallon change out every week or 2 weeks will be perfect. i do that now with my 30 gallon. im over my bio-load as well im sure u wont be if u dont get more than 3 fish. sweet t5 set up u have.

Thanks bro. Thats what I was thinking and thats what I've heard from several people. As long as your strict with water changes i've heard it works well. Yea man, I love this new light so much! What do you have now in your tank?

I agree with fishsticks, actually. There are very few high quality skimmers made for smaller tanks. You are probably better off saving your money and just making up for it in extra water changes.

Thanks Biff. Yea i've been doing alot of research today and it seems that as long as I dont exceed the bioload and stay on top of water changes I should be able to maintain a pretty healthy tank I think.

If you can afford a skimmer and find one known to perform well I would recommend using one. Since your not doing a sump I would say one key factor is to definitely take it slow and do not exceed bioload. You have to let your system cycle well. I would however stay away from a canister filter. I used one when I first started out and I wasn't to pleased.

Mainly for marine. I've never ran a canister on a freshwater and I don't really have much experience with freshwater.

Mostly the maintenance. It may have also just been the model I had but I found that if I wasn't on top of cleaning it and changing media it made my water dirty. I also ran into a few leaks with the plumbing.

Lol yea. Definately forgot to paint it because I was to excited and to caught up in setting it up. But i'm going to get a background right now to hide those wires. You think black or blue looks better in your opinion?

Back