Kev's new 20 gal. reef sump free

is there any chance you could put 2 of thoes double light fixtures over it? is there room? if so, that might be an easy way to get it....

I am also setting up at 20...so I will be starting my own thread on here soon too! :) looks great so far though and I love your rock!

Maybe I am wrong, but doesn't T5 put out more than say a PC? So even if it was lets say 2w/gal, in reality it would be the same as doing around 3.5w/gal PC? So technically any soft coral or some of the LPS would do fine? Just stay away from SPS...

Correct me if im wrong, but I know there is some kind of diffrence where this "watts/gallon" thing starts to go out the window (to a point) depending on the type of bulb used...Now I really want to know lol

Ok yeahThats what I thought but I was just wondering and making sure I wasn't giving the wrong advice!
I caught an employee telling someone that they were all the same at work (yes I work for one of those 'satan chain pet stores' lol) and I about bit her head off....they are told if they DON'T know the answer then DON'T give the advice- ask another employee or tell them you will FIND the answer for them (take their # or something)...or wait till Me or the aquatics person is in and have them call! lol

THIS is why our stores get such bad raps haha! I mean, no one remembers the good but EVERYONE will remember and share the bad! :)

The other thing that take the watts per gallon rule out is depth of tank. However it is really the only thing that you can tell people that will get into their brain. Most people dont understand PAR hell I dont think I do even. Read this link if you think you want to really know about lighting. It kinda explains the differences in the types of light and other factors you will have to consider. Lighting the Reef Tank: A Primer for Beginners by Doug Wojtczak - Reefkeeping.com

oh yea, depending on just how deep into the physics of it that you wanna go, there is wavelength dispursion calculations, efficiency's to consider, spectrum considerations, all that... but i would mostely agree with the above, that with t5's the w/g rule starts to get a little blury...

and your right, i would much rather someone tell me"hey, i dont know, but whaddya say i find out and then we can both learn something today" than lie to me... cause i will come back in the store, and i will find you and i will explain it to both you and the manager if i find out you lied to me, and it cost me $....

but thats just me.... some people are so anti confrontational, they just put up with it...its sad...

Back