kilo's 100 gallon tall REEF!

i really like the aqua illuminations SOL units, but at $400 a piece, and the fact that i would need 2, makes them somewhat unaffordable... what are some good LED lights?

Wait 2??? I thought I would need like 4 on my 75 gal. 0_o

I did wright a review on my local forum for the finsanity LEDs: Fin-Sanity LEDs review. - SMMAS

Only thing I might want to add at this point is I'm not sure about the coloration... I don't have much to compare it with, probably just worrying again...

There is no need to run a mechanical filter until you get your skimmer, the tank will be fine

what should i run for the cycle? nothing!?! :shock: it'll be about 1-2 months before i get a skimmer, and i want to have fish in the meantime! so i will be ok with rock and powerheads?

i think if i mounted the lights longways on a canopy rather than using the mounting bracket i think i could get away with 2

You have a small tank. So a filter is not needed. As long as you keep up with regular water changes (10% to 20% weekly), the tank will be fine. You will probably need a heater in addition to the rock and powerheads (if you don't have one already). :)

ok, sweet! maybe next weekend this thing will be cycling! just gota figure out how to get 100g of saltwater to my house, im getting a mixing station (kinda) but thats not for a few weeks

im getting away with 2 just fine. That was what was recommended to me at the LFS. I will say that I wish I could have mounted them at the recommended hight (12" I think?) instead of the 3" they are at. I do seem some spotlighting but not a whole lot and it definitely lights the tank up. The optics are awesome on the Sol. You may see you need more at "12 since they wont be as concentrated but I think you should be fine.

Ok thanks! My dad OK'd them! So those are the light we are going with.

Now onto flow:
Flow will mainly be provided by a tunze wave box!
I will use koriollas for constant flow x2 750's
And a smaller one to make sure that flow is all over the tank, in all the rock work maybe a 550...

My friend lifted a rock in his tank and a bunch of gunk floated up, I will not let this happen to me :)

ok, so since i dont need filtration just yet, im ready to start my cycle
im planning on
60ibs of argonite live sand
100gallons of salt water, cant forget about that lol
and how much rock would i need just to start the cycle? could i get away with like 20ibs for now? and i was gonna drop in a peice of rock from my tank

Don't mean to steal your thread, but... Would two SOLs be enough to keep sps high up in a 120 gallon?

for a 120 I would go to 3. especially if its longer than 48" (like a 60" tank). But with 3, you should be able to grow SPS just fine.

for a 120 I would go to 3. especially if its longer than 48" (like a 60" tank). But with 3, you should be able to grow SPS just fine.

How would you place them so the center one isn't being blocked out by the brace bar? And I meant a 120 as in 48"X24"X24".

You might be able to get away with 2, since just like mine your tank is 48' although your tank is much wider, so I think you will definetly need.12' in between the lights and the tank to try and get enough , but I can't say for sure

alex, ask fastrd about this. he was just asking questions about putting two sols on his 120. i dont remember what thread i saw it on tho...

Back