Leak testing in cold weather

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Okay, silly question - I need to leak test an old tank that hasn't been set up for awhile. For obvious reasons, I don't want to do it inside in case it leaks like a sieve! But how cold is too cold for me to leak test it outside without compromising the integrity of the seals? Anything above freezing, or does it need to be quite a bit warmer than that?

I think its too big to test it in a rubbermaid - 22 inches across, hexagonal tank

I thought about the garage, but the landlord removed the outside water spigot for the winter so I don't know how to get water out there to fill it LOL. I guess I could use buckets... Will the garage be warm enough (its old and not well insulated). I should also point out that our temps are in the low 40s at night right now

as long as you are not freezing outside will be fine.

I agree with Ted.
If the tank is built with commercial grade silicone sealant then the water would freeze first before the silicone integrity is compromised.

However, if this tank was resealed/rebuilt using lower grade silicone, then it would be iffy.

Of course, you already know not to let water freeze in your aquarium or it will pop the glass no matter what silicone was used :)

Back