Leaky hose connection

JustKeepSwimming

Reefing newb
I just hooked up a new sump with overflow box and 350 gph return pump hooked to the 5/8" green vinyl hose supplied by Eshopps. The hose connects to a J-shaped return sprayer with a barbed end. When I turn on the system, that connection leaks like crazy. I've tried cutting the end off the hose and reconnecting the fresh end, but it still leaks. I've also tried putting an o-ring around the hose at the connection to hold it tighter, but it still leaks. Any suggestions? This is making me crazy!:frustrat:

If you're talking about a metal hose clamp with a screw on the side, I tried that too, and it still leaked. I may not have tightened it enough, but I didn't want to break or flatten the plastic J tube. Maybe it would work if I really tightened that screw as hard as I could.

Hose clamps dont fix leaks. They hold stuff in place. Other than that, I dont know how to help ya on that one bud.

The thing is, you shouldn't need sealant on a barb connection. I am guessing that the hose is too big for the connector. You might need to use a different sized hose.

My fish guy helped me on this issue just last Saturday. The molded plastic sometimes has a ridge from the molding process. This need to be taken off. Then put a little pvc cement on the barbed end push it on and presto I had no more leaks....

Speaking of which what hoses did it come with? My sump came with some crap hoses so I bought new ones cost me all of 15 bucks.

The hose Eshopps provided was 5/8", but I'm sure my last freshwater aquarium set-up included a 1/2" hose for the tank return. I'm going to get some 1/2" hose at my LFS and try that.

I had a hose that kept leaking, finally I heated the end of the hose with a heat gun to soften the material and then quickly put it together and tightened the dreaded hose clamp over it.. no leak since. I think it helped the two parts mate up better.

Take a lighter and put the hose on, then run the flame from the lighter up and down the tube right where it connects, to warm it up but not to long or it will burn. Usually the rubber hose will shrink a bit with heat.

Last edited:
Use a hair dryer, that's much safer than a lighter. It takes about a milisecond to screw up a hose with a lighter.

So I bought some 5/8" tubing from my LFS, and it is definitely smaller than the green tubing supplied with the overflow, and it STILL leaked. I filed down the raised seams on the J tube created in the molding process (thanks Ted) and applied a super thin layer of silicone o-ring lubricant. NO LEAKS! Thanks everybody.:D

Back