Lighting.. HELPP

bdawg21

Reefing newb
So my buddy gave me 2 - 250 watt Metal Halide retro kits with ballasts and new bulbs.. Great Deal right!! Well this is my problem.. My tank is a 46 gallon Bow Front and im pretty sure 500 watts will be to much light and 250 watts should be nice buttt there is a plastic bar that goes across the middle of the tank as they do on most Bow Fronts. Im pretty sure I shouldn't cut it out right?? bacause when I hang up the light the plastic peice casts a shadow in the tank. what do you think I should do.. Any Advice is appreciated.. Thanks

You can remove the cross brace, but it must be replaced. I've seen where ppl cut the brace out and replaced it with a acrylic rod. The left about 2' on each end, drilled a hole in the rod and part of the brace, then used plastic nuts/bolts to secure it.
Since you have 2 bulbs, you can just use them both on either side of the brace. I wouldn't worry about having too much light, but I would be concerned with generating too much heat.

Well im pretty sure 500 watts is too much and my tank is already up and running so I dont wanna risk cutting the brace so i think im just guna make a hood and put soe actinic lights in it to make up for any shadows?

i wouldnt mess with that brace unless it was ABSOLUTELY necessary. as in, its already broken and i want to fix it.

its there for a reason, to hold the tank together against the pressure of the water inside.

Can i put 150 watt bulbs in there and use both lights. Also if i removed the brace and replaced it with acrylic could i do it while there is water in the tank?

Back