Lighting

Oh, I just found out that my insurance wasn't going down like expected... so it seems like this operation is going to be suspended for a bit.

I still might get that tank and just add some rock and sand and let it cycle so everythings ready.

Do I need to have a skimmer if I just have live rock?

With a small tank,you can get by without a skimmer.As long as you keep up on the water changes.

Ok, here's my plan. Let me know if I'm doing this in the right order.

1. Get the tank (going this weekend there are 2 I might get, one is 24 gallon one is 30 but home made). I want to get the 24 because it comes with lights as well as some other accesories, but either way.

2. If I get the 30 gallon get a light for it.

3. I'm going to mix the deionized water with the salt and insert it into the tank.

4. I will probably let it sit for a bit, but then I'm going to introduce some live sand into the tank, and I'm going to get around 10 lbs if live rock for it too (which will be added a day or two after the sand probably). Also I will level out the temperature to 75-80 degrees.

5. Basically it's just waiting from here on in, until the cycle is over right? I might add a bit more live rock, or base rock to get the aquascape I like.

6. After a month or so or when the tests say it's acceptable I'm going to add 5-10 hermit crabs as well as maybe a star fish. Around this time I will get a skimmer or do regular water changes (probably just getting a skimmer).

7. Wait. See how those guys do and if it's a success, well I guess I'll just add fish (this is 2-3 months down the road).

Does that seem like a solid plan, or am I missing any important steps?

Throw in a couple of test kits.You'll need ,ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and PH to begin with.
Other than that,looks like a good plan to me.But good luck sticking to it:D

Throw in a couple of test kits.You'll need ,ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and PH to begin with.
Other than that,looks like a good plan to me.But good luck sticking to it:D

haha thanks. When should I start testing, about a month after I put in the rock, or does it need to be tested before then?

Well.I've seen tanks cycle in less than a day,and others that 3 or 4 months.
I'd test for ammonia at least every couple of days.Then when the ammonia started dropping,start testing the nitrites.I wouldnt even worry about testing nitrates untill the trites hit zero.

Well.I've seen tanks cycle in less than a day,and others that 3 or 4 months.
I'd test for ammonia at least every couple of days.Then when the ammonia started dropping,start testing the nitrites.I wouldnt even worry about testing nitrates untill the trites hit zero.

Ok, theres a test kit at Petsmart which has PH, Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite testing. Is that all I need for now, or do I have to monitor other particles too?

Oh and Argonite sand works too? What is the advantage to live sand, is it worth it to get some?

I'm asking that one because there is some live sand for 30 dollars for 20 lbs, but I can get 30 lbs of Argonite for 20.

The test kit is fine. That's all you'll need to test until your tank is cycled and start adding corals. Yes you want argonite sand. I started my tank with one bag of live and the rest just sand. If you know someone that has a tank already set up you could get a cup of their sand just to seed your sand.

The test kit is fine. That's all you'll need to test until your tank is cycled and start adding corals. Yes you want argonite sand. I started my tank with one bag of live and the rest just sand. If you know someone that has a tank already set up you could get a cup of their sand just to seed your sand.

Nope, unfortunately I don't. Although I am going to buy some live rock probably when I go to get my tank, so maybe I'll ask them. Or I could buy the 5 pound bag of live sand, which is only 10 dollars or so.

just buy aragonite sand the baged live sand is more money for about the same thing. the live sand has some bacteria in it that the regular sand does not. but as soon as you add the live rock the sand will soon be live. so just save the extra money and get a cup of real live sand from the lfs.

Ok makes sense. I think I'm getting a tank with the aqua clear 500 power filter. Is it just for freshwater, or can this be in place of a protein skimmer?

You should have a powerhead (or two) in the tank while it cycles. You can't have stagnant water, even if you don't have animals in it.

The average length of time to cycle a tank seems to be around 3 to 4 weeks.

You dont need an airpump in saltwater it will just cause salt creep make sure that your flow pattern is breaking the surface of the water that will give you enough oxygenation.

Make sure when you put the water in that you leave enough room for the sand and rock. Powerheads help keep the water moving, allowing a skimmer to pick up material that would sit on the bottom. A tank can go through a cycle again, usually from stirring up the substrate or over stocking the tank.

Ok, I have a few tanks I might pick up. We'll see what happens on saturday, but the one I'm leaning towards is a 30 gallon breeders tank with heater for 15 dollars.

I'd then need a light, is there any suggestions? Can I just usea normal light to simulate day time? I'm not sure on the dimensions, I just e-mailed asking them.

the bigger the tank the more money on light you have to spend, a 30 gallon is i believe 3 ft long. a good light will cost about $250. a cheep light will cost about $80

Back