LilReef's first 60g build

Re: Newbie on board!

Long would allow you more room to customize your sump. There are many different deisgns and concepts to choose from. Many of us have built our own and are happy to help. Welcome!

I have been looking at different plans & set ups (mostly youtube) and I dont know if I really have it all figured out. I like the fuge idea, but should a beginner like me just use the standard filter media/bioballs etc...?
Is there an easier way to figure this out?

Is there an easier way to figure this out?

You're doing it, girl! Asking a whole bunch of questions is the easiest way. In my personal experience, you'll want to go as natural as possible....don't go with the bioballs unless you are prepared for rigorous upkeep. They can become nitrate traps if you don't maintain them properly. High nitrates can lead to very bad algae outbreaks that can take months to clear out.

You're doing it, girl! Asking a whole bunch of questions is the easiest way. In my personal experience, you'll want to go as natural as possible....don't go with the bioballs unless you are prepared for rigorous upkeep. They can become nitrate traps if you don't maintain them properly. High nitrates can lead to very bad algae outbreaks that can take months to clear out.

DOH ninjad and even used the go natural line too!

Thanks! That's pretty much the designs Ive been looking at. I guess I am having more difficulty understanding the baffles and where/how they are supposed to be set up.

One of the most confusing things about sumps/fuges for beginners is which design will work for YOU and YOUR tank requirements. You have to try to think ahead to what will be in your tank, what equipment you plan to house/hide in the sump, what type of livestock are you looking to keep, etc. A fuge is a good idea if you'd like to cultivate a natural food source for your fish....copepods and anthropods to feed your carnivore/omivore fish like clowns and gobies, and macro algae like chaeto to feed your vegetarians, like tangs and rabbitfish. A fuge can also help you maintain lower nitrates in your system, as macro algae will remove them from your water. So on and so on.

Okay, good to know I am on the right track with the sump/fuge set up. Thanks to all for all your awesome posts! This is really helpful.
I'm back to the research on the DIY sump!
(Im so glad to hear most have made their own - the guy trying to sell me a $500 sump said I shouldnt make my own...hmmmm, wonder why?)

Well if you can afford the 30gallon tank then go for it. The more water in your system the more stable it will be.

I went with a 20l for my 90 display tank. I am now looking into upgrading to a larger sump size. Maybe 40 long or 55 gallon.

I am using a Octo Extreme 160 Skimmer and mag 9.5 in my sump. The octo is great I have no fish and it started pulling stuff out of my water in a day. The mag 9.5 pump is great to quiet and delivers enough flow to my set up.

Basically you want to get the largest skimmer that can fit in your system and that your wallet can afford. The higher they are rated the better.

Lil Reef Girl,

Welcome to the site. Everybody here is more than happy to help you, so don't worry about asking questions. There's alot of knowledge on this forum. It can be overwhelming, especially the acronyms. But once you get going on everything, it's fun...I'm like you, and am more than happy to DIY, I used that same Youtube video for my sump. works great. I would check craigslist everyday for deals. This hobby can be expensive, but if you do your homework you can save alot of money and get started right (as it seems you're already doing). Here's a little help on the acronyms.

1. LFS- Local Fish store. (that took me about 2 days to figure out!)
2. Ro/DI- Reverse Osmosis/De Ionization (water purifier, you need one)
3. MH (Metal Halide) this is a type of light
5. T5, HO, VHO,LED- These are all different lights
6. PBT- Powder Blue Tang (A type of fish)
7. Rics- Ricordea (a type of muchroom coral)
8. DSB (Deep sand bed)
9. LR- Live Rock
10. PH, Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia, Salinity(just some of the tests you need to do for your water)
11. Hydrometer- (Equipment that tests the amount of salt in your water) inexpensive.

That should get you going, believe me their are plenty more. Again, welcome to the site. Good luck!

So, I'm off to the "not-so" LFS - this one is about and hour away. I want to see if they will upsell me as much as my LFS. :(
I dont think "craigslist" is used too much in Canada, but locally we have something called Kijiji (kee-gee-gee) and it works pretty much the same as ebay. Im not sure if it is popular in the US or not...
Anyway, wish me luck and once again...thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and advice!! I'm so glad I signed on!

Yup, and it's still cold up here!
My trip to the NSLFS (not so local fish store) was a success. The guy was really cool - he didnt try and sell me anything! He answered some questions I had, but he was overall not "sales-person-like". He also has dry rock for about $1.70/lb. he also said he would give me a handful of live rubble to get the dry rock seeded (since I was not in a rush to get the tank full of live rock right away) I was impressed. It was worth the trip.
He also had heaters on for 30% off, so I picked up one of those.
Anyway, off to see a movie - back online later!
Thanks again!

Good to hear it went well since you had to drive so far ... I know how u feel my LFS is 2-2.5 hours away from me

Sounds like you got a pretty decent NSLFS. I got one of those too. Takes about an hour and a half to get there but the one time I went it was well worth the drive. The distance also really helps me control the coral/fish budget.

Glad to see you found a decent store, I dont know if any one mentioned but most of us run two heaters. Just in case one fails the other one to keep temps ok until you get a new one.

Yeah, the NSLFS didnt have a whole lot of selection for equipment, but I am sure orders could be placed....
It was a pretty bare-bones place, no bells and whistles, just fish stuff! (ie: most likely low overhead, less impact on the client's wallet) I like that.
I liked being treated like any other client to walk in the door - not prejudiced against the newbie! :)

Thanks RIJohn, good advice. Glad I got this one on sale :mrgreen:, although it's not a huge expense to buy a second one!

I'm working on the plan for my sump - I'll post in the DIY forum - let me know what you think of it - suggestions 100% welcome & needed!!

Back