Mantis shrimp removal

C24IaHawks1

Reef Lover
I Just discovered a Mantis shrimp in my tank. He's about two inches long and i havent noticed anything dying yet. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to remove him? I have seen him a few times and he is quite a charactor. I have also heard the clicking sounds that Mantis Shrimp have been known to make. Any help to remove him would be appreciated.

Your LFS should be able to rent you a fish trap. Put some shellfish in there (maybe a piece of shrimp or something) and hopefully it will go in there and get trapped.

I have taken out like 4 or 5 of those things out of my tank. And monday i come home from work and i hear that dreadful clicking noise. So i put the trap in there and this thing is huge its like 4 inches and its bright red. I have only seen the blue ones that ive taken out before. Thinking about keeping him in another tank unless someone wants to buy him.(IF I CAN CATCH HIM.....LOL)

find the rock he is in. pull it out of the tank and put the rock in a bucket of cold water he should come hauling butt out, thats how i got mine out.
also like daughtry said dont use your hand, they could split your finger open if strong or big enough.

I have taken out like 4 or 5 of those things out of my tank. And monday i come home from work and i hear that dreadful clicking noise. So i put the trap in there and this thing is huge its like 4 inches and its bright red. I have only seen the blue ones that ive taken out before. Thinking about keeping him in another tank unless someone wants to buy him.(IF I CAN CATCH HIM.....LOL)

winyfrog seems to be the only one who likes these things. Ask her!
The way every talks... it's like the plague; they just scare me! :yikesu:

they are great in their own tank that you don't have a fortune tied up in, but they have been known to break glass and kill everything else alive in their tank so they definitely are not welcome in the reef tank.

they have been known to do that

Small mantis are not strong enough to break glass, but I have had one that was 4" long that cracked my tank (it took me a few days to figure out why the tank was losing so much water LOL) I just siliconed a peice of glass back over the crack, its all good :)

If your going to keep one its probably best to use an acrylic tank. I love my mantis they have great personalities.

Back