Mantis tank build

Successful molt again. WOOT! Now i can finally do another WC to combat this cyno.
0d484423.jpg

77db804e.jpg

Thanks. Usually a molt is what kills mantis's in aquariums and in the wild. It's a long process and then when the actual molt takes place they have to make sure the molt comes off the new skeleton perfectly because it it sticks to an arm or eye they can easily lose that part and from that and the stress die. In the wild they become easier to be hunted without an appendage. Usually I try to stay away from the tank when he's molting. The fish usually go into the rock when I get up and look at the tank and they could easily go into his burrow and mess with him.

Been reading every page from when you bought the tank, and till just now.
I love the setup and I think I'm going to go for something very similar.
I'll be reading up on them for a few weeks and then I'll start ordering my supplies probably.

Thanks. There are a few that are light tolerable. G.T's are one of them. I wanna do a peacock (O.S) in a macro tank sooo bad.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to PM me for a quicker response.

??? Dang man that sucks big time! At least you have tiny.

It does suck. Not even gunna lie, it's like losing a dog or cat or lizard or what have you. Sure I have the lil one but he doesn't interact with me because he's a juvi, he stays secluded in his rocks and barley shows face. I'm tempted to break down the tank right now because it's hard to look at sitting at my CPU.

Oh no!! :( I am soo sorry to hear this Dana *hugs*

Any idea what happened?

Thanks....honestly I'm really not sure. He killed 70% of the CUC like he normally does before a molt. Then went to his burrow. Today was day 4 of the molt. Woke up and there he was getting eaten by a hermit. I peaked around to make sure it wasnt just his molt and seen no sign of life. I've been peaking around and it looks like he made a molt (pieces inside hos burrow)but wasn't able to recover from it. Could be old age. Could be a bad molt, could be I just suck at keeping SW pets idk. Frustrating and heart breaking to say the least.

Are you absolutely certain he's not just still hiding and recovering from the molt if the molt was indeed successful?

I remember reading an earlier post of yours saying how challenging molts were for mantis and how thats what ends up killing most of them. I really don't think it has anything to do with your ability as an aquarist or mantis keeper, but I know it feels that way when something goes wrong

I'm tempted to break down the tank right now because it's hard to look at sitting at my CPU.

could be I just suck at keeping SW pets idk. Frustrating and heart breaking to say the least.

Dana, we can tell with all the pics that you post that you know what you are doing. Unlike some people that visit the site, you care about the well being of your pets. You can rest easy knowing that you are doing a GREAT job, sometimes things just happen...

It will be ok buddy!!! :Cheers:

Are you absolutely certain he's not just still hiding and recovering from the molt if the molt was indeed successful?

I remember reading an earlier post of yours saying how challenging molts were for mantis and how thats what ends up killing most of them. I really don't think it has anything to do with your ability as an aquarist or mantis keeper, but I know it feels that way when something goes wrong

He's gone. I pulled him out, measured him and went outside and burried him. I want to say it was just a stressful molt. After pulling him out, i decided i could try and rescape and clean the tank a bit and give it a decent water change as ive been battling hair algae. I found his molt in his burrow.

His molt found inside his burrow

ab0f1d80.jpg

His lifeless body :(

5fb1683c.jpg

4ce030b3.jpg

Dana, we can tell with all the pics that you post that you know what you are doing. Unlike some people that visit the site, you care about the well being of your pets. You can rest easy knowing that you are doing a GREAT job, sometimes things just happen...

It will be ok buddy!!! :Cheers:

Thanks Kev.

Wow he was such an amazing specimen! I am really so very sorry that you lost him Dana :( Yes, it must have just been a stressful molt and so sad that he didn't pull through.... but you will be a mantis daddy again, I am certain! Any mantis would be thrilled to live in that tank.

Back