Mega Powerfull Mechanical Filtration algae removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
qx, alls were tryin to do is help you. dont be stubburn about what you dont know. were tryin to help you save money. and let you know what works and whats been proven to work. were tryin to prevent your tank from failing. but its up to you to atleast listen.
look at the scale here. whole bunch of people saying the same thing.and just one person saying another.
were not tryin to cut you down, but if you come out with stuff like posted above we sick biff on you. lol.
your very new to this hobby like biff was saying. and if your gonna pinch pennies in this hobby. this hobby is not for you. and it already like biff said shows in your tank that your having problems..
and let me say this again. alls were tryin to do is help...

i have a very good protein skimmer made in germany

Aqua medic Turboflotor 1000
It removes a lot of bad stuff from the water.

I am currently fighting with algae since my tank has not been cycled yet.
This skimmer is simply amazing and on daily basis it removes about 700-800 grams of shi-*** , mostly algae.
I need more live rock but it's expensive and this tank has drained my pocket :-(

Man in Germany everything was cheaper than here!
I should go there pay the flying ticket and buy everything I need then come here with all of that stuff. It’ll come cheaper than Canada. I don’t understand why prices are double, triple here than the rest of the world.
I think I am in the wrong hobby but I invested so much that I cannot back up now.

Since I would not like a sump i must ad some natural microalgae as phosphates eaters.

Last edited:
qx....My friend dont give up on this hobby. I see your point and i see all of every one elses point. There right when they say there just trying to help you, and thats cool. Your tank is still cycling? Then let it cycle, most of the diatoms will go away when it has cycled and balances out. I do see your point on trying to find a cheeper way to do things with your tank, Im always trying new things my self some work and some dont. Just remember all thoses poeple that was laught at and made fun of when they came up with a idea and sure they falled many times befor they succeded, who cares your learning, be a thinker figure out what works for you, but dont give up, but don't also be a fool and not take advice. Blend the two together, dont we all try to do this in every day life? We all dont know all the answers at first but we learn from are mistakes of what could work and what dont. I think if you dont have the space for a sump, then what you came up with is a good idea at a cheap price, its a lot cheeper than some one going out to buy a new canister filter. When i got my tank it had a fluval 405 canaster filter and had two clean it once a week or every two weeks eventualy it took a shit on me and i whent to a wet/dry filter i havent had to many problems with it but i still wounder really how good is it, my nitrats are still good but that could all change. The filter you bought i think is a good idea, It filters the water we drink why not filter out the water your fish are living in? but as we all know we still have to keep a check on what are fish are living in because they sure cant check it, they'll just check out if things are not going good for them. All the people at the fish store at first are all full of shit to a point lets face it there in buisiness trying to make money they dont really know you, they get there 300% mark up or some thing like that, getting your own bisiness liscience may be a cheaper way to go? Thats what i may try to do in the future?....but once you get to know them they'll tell you a diffrent story on how they keep there tanks but you have to realize that there tanks or most of there tanks are always changing. Ours pretty much stay the same,same fish, same rock, same sand. Just dont piss off the fish stores because they do have there perks when you make good friends with them. I go to every one in my town and Im friends with them all, and they all now give me good advance, I just keep most of my defirences to my self for the most part when Im trying some thing new out. Some poeple are thinkers and some are not but be cool to the people that are trying to help you out. Thats what this forums all about for the most part. We all need to be a little more understanding this hobby dont have to be this expensive. Some one else sure had the idea of having the ocean in are living rooms. Im just trying to keep the peice. Its all good LOL

The problem is that qx is claiming that you can remove algea by mechanical filtration, which you cant. Algea for the most part is attached to the rocks glass and sand. Not in the water column.

Mechanical filtration can be used to remove larger particles in the water column but unless the media is cleaned or changed regularly(every week at most), it will build up nitrates in your tank.

He also claims that his set up is cheaper than a skimmer set up. Which is true initially but after a year of operation, the skimmer breaks even. (See Biffs post)

This new system is nothing more than a DIY canister filter which many people feel is usless in a marine tank since there are better alternatives such as a skimmer, LR, fuge set up.

I see what your saying. But what does it hurt to try it? Not all tanks are the same and buy looking at his pics of his filters why are some of them brown and some are green what looks to be algea if its not algea then whats the brown or green stuff hes getting in his filter?...I agree sumps may be better but if you dont have the room for a sump and a skimmer dont pull out algea then whats a good alternative? I some times get green hair algea on my rocks if i clean it in my tank and the algea starts to float around the skimmers starts to work over time to pull it out, Ive seen this in my tank I know its not good to clean my rock in my tank but some times it happens.My friend that lives 20 miles from me has a diffirent water qaulity than what I have. I seem to have more lime in my water than what he has and he also has less phosphates in his water than i do, but when I do a water check i still have zero nitrates my phosphate are around 15 Im runnig a wet dry filter but every one said no to that because of the nitrate facture. My nitratres have never been above 0. Are tanks are on a diffrent leval buy the way we dont have rodi which is alot lot better we just havent got one yet.

Can Some one tell me the diffrence between this filter and a fuval 405 or what ever type of canister filter they all seem to do the same thing. i agree you still have to clean them every week or two the only diffrence i see whould be the initail price . i also see every one elses point that later on It would cost you more to run in the future be cause you would have to buy filters but what if this filter was only ran two or three days a week like a skimmer? of coures Im sure the filter would have to cleaned in between run periods.

I am not saying that it would hurt to try. He is making claims about a technology that wont do what he is claiming. His filters are green and brown because he was stiring up his tank. In order to get the algea.

SKimmers dont remove the algea, they remove what the algea eats. The skimmer removes disolved organic compounds(uneaten food and fish poop)

You are reading 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates because the algea is consuming it before your test has a chance to detect it.

When i used to have a cartrage filter befor I got a sand pump on my out door swimming pool....When the water started to get green caused by algea, green algea, the filter cartrage got green, and when i had it checked they said it was green algea tell me what the diffrence is between this filter and the filter i just discribed, I later got a sand pump which most pools have and it was alot better but when I back wash the pool you could see the green algea now i know i dont want to go and buy a sand pump for my fish tank but know if i had a sump and there was sand in it, but i understand that a sump would have benifical bacteria....I have seen in some tanks green hair being released from the rock from a strong currant of water,Green hair algea floating around in the tank, If this filter could catch this wouldnt that be better than nothing at all. I know a canister filter would catch It.

Algae releases spores. Spores are microscopic and are in the water. I think biff said this in another post. Do spores cause algea to grow??? If so would it not be good to use this type of filter if you didnt have the room for a sump? Im not trying to hard headed Im just trying to get a better understanding of what floats around in the water and what could be caught befor it settles and starts to grow????

I think the problem people are having with this is that you are treating the symptoms and not the cause. A mechanical filter alone such as the one he is suggesting is not eliminating the causes of his algae.

Well I can tell you from experience with trying this "technology" over ten years ago. It does give clear water, no doubt. The problem I had is that it clogged very quickly, like every week, and it got expensive to replace them all the time. The water flow will just stop. I ripped it out eventually....

it's algae my friends.
The pictures i post were shot after 24 hours.
I will keep the cartridge 7 days in my tank after that i will replace it with a new one. The water is crystal clear so far. However i have some green algae on my glass. I don't have anything on the rocks. The rocks are completely white. it is probably because of the filter cleaning everything that floats in the water. If tha alage stays on glass or rocks nothing can remove it except manual cleaning , no doubt about it!
My tank has basically only two weeks old and the rocks were dry at the moment when i have added. So no active live bacteria on them.
Yes my method can be called "another canister" just instead of a 50-100 microns filtration a regular canister provides i have added 1 micron filtration cartridge (this is the size of a poly filter which is well known to filter algae, except this filter cost about 40$ when my cartridge is 6$. 1 micron is lesser than algae, lesser than fish parasites. A canister has a power of 300-400 gallons/hour filtration when this one has 1100 gallons, not mentioning the suction power of the pump and the flow created by the water retour.
What is really great at this device is the existence of all media i want for less money; i can have 1, 5,10,20,40, 50, microns filtration, i can have activated carbon filtration, i can have ozone filtration, in the same container. It takes me 3 minutes to change the cartridge. The cost of this simple device is about 40$ when a good canister is 5 times more providing lesser performances.
That’s what it is.
PM please just take in consideration we are talking about 1 micron filtration. Think about it! Imagine 1100 gallons/hour of water passed through this filter. How many things are caught by this filter?

Well I can tell you from experience with trying this "technology" over ten years ago. It does give clear water, no doubt. The problem I had is that it clogged very quickly, like every week, and it got expensive to replace them all the time. The water flow will just stop. I ripped it out eventually....

Depends of the size of the container and the pump.
I am testing it now. I'd remove it in one week and see how long can it be run.
Any way any existent filter on the market should be reoplaced every two weeks. It costs about 10$.
I wil see if i can beat that price. Weekly if must be replaced will cost about 6$ wich is not bad at all. The filter can also be washed under water pressure.
So 3 days passed, 5 more and then pictures!

I t depends on the bio load....I had a lot of stuff in my tank at the time. If you go with corals or even treat your fish to plankton you will need to shut it off just while the fish eat....

I also forgot that you have an answer for everything..... sorry

$5 to $6 dollars is not bad for one week. How many people in here smoke cigs? That costs $4 to $5 dollars a day. As stupid as it is Im a smoker....LOL. If these filters can be cleaned Then you might not have to spend any money for a couple of weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back