Metal Halide Radiation?

Ace5high

Reefing newb
Ive read that HQI bulbs do not filter UV rays like other types of MH bulbs and therefore require an external piece of glass that will filter UV so as not to burn corals...

Can anyone confirm this? Im using 2- 150 watt HQI's, do I need to find some tempered glass to put between my tank and bulbs?

That is true, the double ended bulbs do not filter out the UV like the single ended bulbs do. Therefore there should be a piece of glass in between. Does your fixture not have the glass in it?

+1 Brian
You should have a glass sheild on your fixture. You can also place the glass tops on your tank to acheive this if your fixture does not have the glass sheild for some reason.

Does your fixture not have the glass in it?

Well, I built the lighting setup myself. I do have some small pieces of glass that came with the MH's but no real way to mount them between the tank and bulbs... I may have to get creative since I dont really want to use glass lids.

Also, this is all going under the canopy I built so maybe I can have a local glass shop cut me a piece to fit the canopy itself...

Are there any specs I need to consider if I buy the glass, tempered? special type of glass?

Just make sure you use something that won't warp or melt under the extreme heat of the Halides.

I'm not sure for the type of glass, but I would probably lean toward tempered just in case something bad happens.

Back