MH / HQI Bulb Brand and PAR Question

Ulta

REEFER
Title pretty much says it but,

Does anyone have any data on PAR outputs for different MH Bulbs / Brands and whats the best or better yet, best bang for your buck?

More specifically for me; 150w HQI double ended bulb. I prefer color on the blue end (~14k+).

I remember Ccapt had some data in someones post, was maybe a 175w...

But whoever has any data / experience with MH bulbs post it up here guys :)
Let's share the knowledge!

If I'm gonna spend ~$60 on a new bulb I want one with good PAR!

After a little more looking I think I found another post by ccCapt that gives some good data.
In regards to MH, actinics do nothing more than add some color. The MH's, no matter if you use a 65k, 10k, 15k or 20k, will have all the light in the spectrum a coral needs.

What wattage bulbs do you use? Here's some PAR results from Sanjay's site.
150w MH Performance Data
175w MH Performance Data
250w MH Performance Data

This also has some 250w MH PAR results.
CnidarianReef: Lamp Tests
But I have another question to add to that, reguarding:
In regards to MH, actinics do nothing more than add some color.
Does that mean that a 20k bulb promotes just as much growth as a 10k? Or... does that mean that actinics don't have as much photosynthetic properties?

After a little more looking I think I found another post by ccCapt that gives some good data.

But I have another question to add to that, reguarding:

Does that mean that a 20k bulb promotes just as much growth as a 10k? Or... does that mean that actinics don't have as much photosynthetic properties?

In my understanding the PAR is the amount of light getting to any point. I think with PAR you get what you pay for. You can raise your PAR level a bit by getting rid of your tanks top. The temp of the bulb has to do with the spectrum of light. Hotter (20K) means the spectrum is shifted towards more blue, colder (10K) more red (but in your tank it will look more yellow). I believe that photosynthesis favors the 10K but, the 14K puts out a blueish white and is a good middle ground.

Last edited:
PAR is Photosynthetically Active Radiation. In other words, it's the light that is usable in photosynthesis, not all the light a bulb may produce.

In general, actinics or 20K MH bulbs will have less PAR than a 10K or 15K because they are primarily in the blue spectrum and not much of the light is photosynthetically active.

Back