Midas Blenny - I may be in love.

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
So I was at the LFS today picking up my lights and a powerhead and I of course checked out every fish and coral for at least 5 minutes each. I noticed this huuuuge Midas Blenny. It had to have been 6+ inches long. I asked the owner who always helps me out and he said it was the biggest one he has ever seen. He said they must make them bigger in Africa, because that was its origin location. Most of the sites I have went to say max size of 4". It was a great yellow color and moved around like an eel which is something I have always liked anyway. It was only 35 bucks so it is actually cheaper than my little fish. My only concern is that it could be old since its so big. How do your small fish get along with bigger fish? I heard this one is excellent for reefs and is a peaceful fish but may act aggressive towards firefish or gobys, which I don't have.

That fish will only act aggressive in a small tank where space is limited for it to find a place to perch. Those fish are absolutely amazing but will not tolerate water quality issues or fast changes in PH salinity or Temperature. If you do buy that fish you wont see it for a week or two as they are Very skiddish and will hide in holes in the rocks usually you can see one eye tho as they love to watch the room. If you walk in the room slowly sometimes you will catch them out swimming for a bit. Although i would not suggest putting that fish directly in your tank it really needs to be quarantined a trip from africa is very far and they can be very sick. Mine was an african midas and it brought velvet into my tank and killed all the fish inhabitants including itself. So if you have a large enough tank size and have a quarantine tank i would say go for it and I wanna see lots of pictures ;-)

I'm sure it would be fine. The sites say they need at least a 30 gal and even though it bigger than most you have 16 more gal the the min.

Yes i had a midas blennie in a 20 gallon i meant small as in a size of a 10 gallon or so or if a tank is majorly overstocked. African midas blennie will also fight with other blennies and gobies that closely resemble blennies. Therefore it is not a good addition if you have any mentioned fish.

Back