Missing Lawnmower Blennie

staceyfenea

Reefing newb
Last Thursday my Lawnmower Blennie was not looking so good. I have alot of rock in the tank therefore alot of hiding places. I still had not seen him again on Saturday. Normally he is out eating on the rocks everyday. I was afraid he had died in the rocks so on Saturday I practically moved and removed all the rocks to remove him. He was not lying on the bottom or in the rocks. Its like he vanished. I have two emerald crabs and ten or so hermit crabs in the tank as well. This fish was about three inches long. Starting on Friday I have checked the ammonia levels in the tank everyday and there has been no elevation. Is it possible the crabs ate him?:shock:

Completely possible. If you have a sufficient cleaner crew, you should find no trace of a dead fish. That means they're doing their job. I don't think that a dozen or so crabs would have any problem finishing off a blenny. Especially since you undoubtedly have many bristleworms, which are probably the best cleaners of all.

Sorry to hear about your blenny, but it's still early. He may show up.

And just a likttle advice if you should get a new one. Make sure you see it eat at the LFS. Many a lawnmower blenny has starved to death because the get home and eat all the algea and pick everything off the rock. Once that happens most will starve because they have not been trained to eat prepared foods. Make sure you see it eat at the LFS before you buy.

I have the mantis in a critter keeper in the tank. Was easiest way to keep with out setting up a new tank. with heater and water flow ect. His keeper get some flow from a power head to keep water moving. I have not decided what to do with him. I would sell be they don't go for very much around her. All the LFS have them and sell them for like 5 dallars.

Back