MitchReef's Reef...well the current one at least....

True, I lived in Newport Richy for a while when I was like 16. Summer was absolutely brutal lol. Do you have a chiller for the tank? If not, might want to think about getting one

I have a chiller but don't anticipate needing it...we keep the house nice all year round ane with the room ventillated to the house it ought to be okay...I can even put a fan in one of the vents if needed....

The weekend is here again!!! Time to get back on the project.....my goal is to finish hanging the drywall and to get it mudded and taped...I also need to do the room lights and get the tank and sump stands finished....I will sand the inside even if I don't start the outside.....Then if there is time I will start on the Kilz application....2 coats minimum inside the room!!! I doubt that I will get all this done, but it is a goal!!!

Haha good luck, you using vinyl spackel or quickset? Quickset would probably help you cut some time down, only problem is it dries up so damn fast you can only use a little at a time (unless your fast as hell [which I'm not lol]). Either way, progress is progress! :)

Kyle....The next post will have pics I promise....

Anthony...I already have a tub of the pink turns white stuff that I will at least start with...I think I have about 2 or 3 different containers of different kinds and I will try to go as far as I can with what I have already....It's not too many joints to make because the room is just 6' X 8'...

I know I will not get all that done in 2 days and unfortunately my work keeps me from doing much of anything during the week....especially on every other week when I have my little girl...(this week, but not next week!!!). I work pretty much all day then have computer time for 2 to 4 hours most weeknights.... :-(

Okay Kyle....I thought about it and decided I did have a few pictures that should be up here.....

I have a 29AGA mini-reef / holding tank / algae breeding research facility that has all it's own sump and fuge, return pump, 175W MH with T5HO actinic powerheads, etc, etc, etc but I'm not including any of that equipment in this installment....

I will, however, show you all the "other equipment" I have to pick from on the new setup....
IMG_5668_zpsd02ef0ef.jpg

IMG_5667_zps27ce7404.jpg

IMG_5669_zps25fa385c.jpg

Okay....so I might have kind of taken over the dining room....just a little.....Ya think???

I think I SHOULD have whatever I need for the build....well at least for the most part....LOL....:bounce::^::bounce:

You know...when I look at all that stuff I have come to realize that I need to have a big ole equipment sale after the system is running....

And that's not actually even all of it....There is a 120G and a 75G in the tank room, a 75G outside by the garage, a 75 stand in the garage and lots and lots of little stuff all over the garage....After the room is done I plan to have a scavenger hunt through the garage and then have a big sell off....at least we have a big reef community in the area....

I'm totally showing those pics to my wife.

"See, he's MUCH crazier than I am!"

lol can't wait to see more. Also, your wife is pretty darn cool to let to take over like that. Sounds like mine. We're both lucky as heck!

One thing to realize is that I have been accumulating some of that stuff for nearly 30 years....I had my first stony corals in 1986....and I an still using at least one of my original powerheads!!!! It's moving water in my holding tank as we speak!!!!

Oh...and yes....my wife is amazing....she loves to see me excited over things and is freaked out by the way my brain works.....I am doing this entire project without any drawings or plans...just what's in my cranium....

but the bottom line...I have a real and genuine gift of a mate....

I actually have to admit that it has been through the ringer...It's an old Hagen 201 that is missing part of the magnet shaft and the magnet is attached to the actual impeller with krazy glue....but it still works great....

Now, for today's progress....I first put up the room lights and wired them...so...now the room has electricity and lighting!!!! I am soooo excited but the biggest thing about that is I was able to hang the sheetrock on the rest of the outside of the room....I got that up and taped and mudded the outside....I also got a can of self expanding foam and sealed all around the wall cutout, so there is no issue with moisture getting into the wall....I also finished up the door framing....here are a few pictures....
IMG_5670_zps3a5a52fe.jpg

IMG_5671_zpsd44743e1.jpg

IMG_5672_zps96b8008f.jpg

IMG_5673_zps64a8d116.jpg

IMG_5674_zps76831c8c.jpg

I am soooo excited about tomorrow....I get to put in the Insulation....I'm just itching to work with fiber glass!!!! But after that I will put up the sheetrock inside, get it mudded and put the second and third coats of mud on the outside....The sanding mesh sure does make the finishing easier....but I still hate sanding....

I bought my gallon of sealer / primer and if timing allows I will jump to the first coat on the outside at least....

IMG_5670_zps3a5a52fe.jpg

IMG_5671_zpsd44743e1.jpg

IMG_5672_zps96b8008f.jpg

IMG_5673_zps64a8d116.jpg

IMG_5674_zps76831c8c.jpg

....I get to put in the Insulation....I'm just itching to work with fiber glass!!!!

Haha, I see what you did there. Clever ;). It's coming along nicely, I'd of rocked the outside and probably called it a day. With a four year old and a eleven month old, it's difficult to accomplish anything around the house lol. Good idea on the foam btw, that stuff works pretty well. A+ on what you've gotten done so far! :)

Back