MitchReef's Reef...well the current one at least....

This is the first time I've actually kept my cool and taken the time to do it properly....In nearly 30 years in the hobby I'm actually planning it in advance....I am actually not in a mad tear to get it stocked but I want to add the Clownfish I already have, a female Naked Clown and a male Misbar Ocellaris. I want a Naso Tang, preferrably a male, maybe a Yellow or Blue Hippo Tang and some Lyretail Anthias, I'm thinking 3 of them. I want a couple of Serpent Stars and the requisite heap of snails when the gack starts growing and I want Reef Zombies (AKA Nassarius snails) just cause I think they are wicked cool. If I happen upon another Ascension Goby I will probably have to get him too. The last one was just too cool. Oh yeah, and some Porcelain Crabs.

I figure on mainly Acropora and encrusting Montipora with supporting staff of Zoanthids and Palythoa with a few chalices and maybe a Wellso or Trachyphyllia and I just love Blastomussa wellsii. A lot of the corals will be provided to the cause by people I have taken care of in the past. I have a huge (4"+) frag of original Oregon Blue Tort coming.

I took your advice and joined the NJRC (NJ Reef Club). So far, I've gotten 5 frags for free from people on there. Their one request was if their MC ever took a turn for a worse, to have a piece re-fragged for them. Which, I'm cool with :mrgreen:

I havent been around here for a bit and look who shows up. LOL

WOW

Nice to see things turn around for you Mitch. I remember your old tank, and if this one turns out half as nice then it will still be amazing. Keep the updates coming, and its nice to talk to you again.

Vacation was wonderful...I will be looking at getting the sand into the tank and mounting the Fuge Light....after that I still need to mess wtih chemistry a little bit more....The Alkalinity is high from dragging the pH up to where it belongs....need to do a big water change....I was waiting for the chance to put the water change station together and haven't been here to do it....maybe next weekend I will be ready to put my existing livestock into the big tank....Then....Let The Games Begin!!!!

Western MD could be a definite challenge but I would expect to see several clubs around Detroit....did you both search the clubs forums at ReefCentral? Also ask around at your LFS's

I live right outside of Cumberland MD and there is one LFS within an hour radius lol... Hell maybe i'll look into forming one myself, I know a ton of reefers around here.

That's a great idea....we just started a second club in our metropolitan area about 21 months ago....ReefCentral, again, has info on forming a club if I'm not mistaken....

I finally dragged my tired old butt out to the garage and hung my Fuge Light. I have a little beginning of algae in the tank so I went ahead and turned the tank lights off and the fuge light on and will get them all back to normal on Monday....should pull all the algae into the fuge...I am also getting my water change station put together this weekend and will then get serious on a couple of good heavy water changes to get chemistry straightened out....I'm going over to a friend's house to get my sand later this evening....After I get that stuff all done I think I will be ready for livestock....it's getting near.....

I now have sand in my display tank.....still need to caulk and touch up the trim pieces.....I built the RO/DI water stand and started making the first load of RO/DI water....I am finishing up the salt mixing side of it today and will be doing water changes and chemistry adjustment after that's done....I believe the chemistry is the last item before adding critters....Hopefully this week it will become an aquarium and not just a project!!!!

Last edited:
Here is one with the White Balance pulled ALL THE WAY out of the blue spectrum

And one with "natural" white balance....

My little camera doesn't let me do a true "custom" white balance, but I would love to get a little bit of the blue in there.....

I got the Water Change station finished up today....I had to cut the mix barrel down to get the right heights for everything, but I can still do a 25G mix....I had to silicone a patch in the Mix barrel so I will have to wait til tomorrow evening before I can start water changes,,,,but, once I get a couple of changes done and the chemistry stabilized out it will be time to start populating the tank.....I have a nice chaeto ball floating in a bag in the fuge already....

I will put up some pics when I have a minute to take them....

Hey!!!! Is this thing on???? (tap, tap, tap) Is there anybody out there???

Okay, so I got out there with my camera and got some shots of the water change station. The blue drum is the RO/DI reservoir and it is valved to allow filling the white cut drum. It was a full sized drum that I cut because the bottom had to be at 36 inches high....I will show why in a moment, but the RO/DI line goes up to the tank and enters through a float valve.....it's temporarily run across the floor but will be the raw water and reject / waste lines run through the ceiling....The RO/DI will be mounted in front of the blue drum on the lower crossmember.... I didn't realize it but I need to cradle the back of the blue drum....no biggy...

The reason the mix barrel had to be so high was because the bulkhead on the bottom goes through the room wall and terminates at the white and red True Union valve in the left corner of the sump....It's just hanging in the hole now, I had to take it apart and redo the bulkhead...it was leaking....

If you notice the white RO/DI type tubing coming off the blue drum piping just before the ball valve, it goes through the wall and is the line with the John Guest Ball Valve in the extreme left side of the inside room picture....that is my ATO Reservoir fill line...I need to go larger diameter though....takes waaaay too long to fill....
Gotta run to Lowes for a couple o' couplings!!!!

Back