monkiboy's 265g build thread

Please once you have this thing installed, I want a full report of it...color, intensity, dimming capabilities, and if you can get some par readings throughout your tank, that would be awesome. I havent purchased the LEDs for the 180 yet so I have a lot of options but this fixture loooks spiffy; if it performs as good as it looks, Im sold.

working late tonight but got to the redgard of the area above the tank. removed another 18" or so of drywall to completely expose that area so that the light can be mounted to the ceiling on the retracable mechanisms. so it'll retract all the way up to the top during maintenance, working on the tank, etc giving me over 24" of room and then i can lower to where i want and it'll hold it in place.

then installed a vapor barrier and used some extra trim i had laying around to hold securely in place. this will protect above against humidity and moisture and evaporation.

20130830_174713_zpsac57549f.jpg

Please once you have this thing installed, I want a full report of it...color, intensity, dimming capabilities, and if you can get some par readings throughout your tank, that would be awesome. I havent purchased the LEDs for the 180 yet so I have a lot of options but this fixture loooks spiffy; if it performs as good as it looks, Im sold.
oh sure thing. check out his site and his videos. he has a lot of that information already available for you but i'll be sure to share what i get. i had planned to do the evergrows because i work directly with them and coordinate group buys for those fixtures(either six d120s or three IT2060s) and had them all actually but sold them off to reefing buddies when dave and i got to talking about a fixture.

if you're looking for awesome performance, modest controllability, incredible price look to evergrow. i've been using and ordering them for folks for about two years. if you want something more clean, tons more features, a lot more control, and made from a swell, creative, talented guy, then go to dave. i've had his fixtures for a little over a year and they are great.

upgrading my previously bought nanobox duo to the new coralux controller. bye-bye multiple manual dimming drivers and gazillion power adapters, hello PWM, sunset/sunrise, lunar cycle, geosyncing weather recreations, and more!

20130831_123858_zps225bfaa9.jpg

what we came up with use of the retractable yo-yo thingie to hang the new LED monster... this is what i'll be doing away with in order to just go from ceiling bolt to y-splitter.

20130831_134728_zpsfa184e5b.jpg

because if you're going to mount LEDs with a ceiling kit perfectly centered and above the tank appropriately then you just gotta break out the lasers, right? haha

20130831_152120_zpse6ba9878.jpg

just the blue LEDs on...and this at 15% - the lights are redunkuliss bright. yes that bright at just 25%. it's just silly.

20130831_183136_zps5b10f268.jpg

needless to say, i am NOT worried at all about coverage. can't wait to test PAR on the unit in comparison to my other fixtures especially with the extra depth this 30" tank provides.

have to clean up a bit of wire and harness, find permanent and clean mounting locations for the power supplies and controller, and securely mount the t5 assembly. then play around with the controller with the manual in hand and figure out how to quickly program all the super cool things this coralux storm x can do! stay tuned!

ok got some more pics of the final pieces of the rock structure - it's really starting to blow my mind that this will soon be showcased in my tank and i'll have such a gorgeous layout to work with and can get my cycle started!

dba95afb-309b-433b-8d7f-176877a061f8_zps57ec8c5f.jpg

43fcfe5a-761d-4381-bbfd-5e6ba33d8b26_zps3fa19b61.jpg

d7690d73-0abd-4838-ac27-483d8fe28dc2_zps04679a65.jpg

one possible aquascape with three of the pieces. i've been told it's very hard to convey but there is a great sense of depth with the pieces and how they slant away from the viewer both for mounting corals and to make the tank feel deeper than it is. i can't wait to play around and put together my final pieces in my 265 :bounce:

7336d03c-5e72-4a21-b9b0-1d9d92b71573_zpsfb27f1f0.jpg

Those pieces really are amazing. It's going to take the look of your tank to a whole new level! Super jealous, but very happy for you! :mrgreen:

GET THE CYCLE GOING ALREADY! I KEEP LOOKING AT THIS THREAD HOPING FOR A CYCLE SO I CAN SEE IT STOCKED!! :mrgreen::Cheers::mrgreen::Cheers::mrgreen:

Back