My 46g Bow Front Tank by Sakura2282

What happens to them? I don't want them to get hurt. My emerald crab is eating like he was starving after he molted a few days ago.

Peppermint Shrimp.

I went to the LFS on Thursday and bought these two littke guys thinking that my dottyback will go after them and at least one wouldn't make it through the night. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw they were still alive and they still are.

And as always my dottyback is being a bad neighbor.

20131226_203732.jpg

Lol yep he's looking for a meal. I had a dottyback chase some peppermints around for a week then one day I was missing one then another until they were all gone.

Tank News!

One of my peppermint shrimp was found dead yesterday morning by my brother :cry:. Its body was complete so I'm not sure why he died, but since I brought them home, he was the only one that wasn't eating. The other always comes out for eating time, but that one never did, maybe he was too afraid of my dottyback, who knows. Will see if the other one will make it or not. At least is eating well.

My GSP have been closed for four days today :(. It doesn't want to fully open only shows a few polyps for a while and them close them again. I have no idea why It's so mad except that my much bigger emerald crab keep sleeping on top of it.

I've been checking my water parameters and they are as always. Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, PH is 8.2, Nitrates are 20 and Phosphates are 0.25. I know my nitrates and my phosphates are the cause of my algae problems, but the levels are not weird to my tank inhabitants they've been always like that. I know my phosphates problem comes from my Pukani rock and my nitrates most be overfeeding even when I really don't feed my fish very much. Also, the GSP doesn't look like is dying, it looks the same just not opening. The only thing that it's different is that I've been having problems with ones of my koralias it needs a new impeller because some times doesn't work and this affect the tank's flow.

My Mushy is having babies like crazy, so those are good news I guess. :)

I am a believer that GSP can just be temperamental, the one I have now is the first one that has ever done well in my tanks. In the past when I tried to keep them they would do fine for months then just fall apart and die.

Are you checking any other water parameters like alk, or calcium?
And have you tried feeding anything like marine snow?

I am a believer that GSP can just be temperamental, the one I have now is the first one that has ever done well in my tanks. In the past when I tried to keep them they would do fine for months then just fall apart and die.

Are you checking any other water parameters like alk, or calcium?
And have you tried feeding anything like marine snow?
No, but I can check them I have a calcium and alk test. Do you think it will take any food? I can try and feed it.

If it's not open it won't take food. I was just curious if you were feeding. And the calcium shouldn't bother the GSP too much since they don't use it but the if the alk is off it may. I wish I could help but I'm no GSP whisper

If it's not open it won't take food. I was just curious if you were feeding. And the calcium shouldn't bother the GSP too much since they don't use it but the if the alk is off it may. I wish I could help but I'm no GSP whisper
I believe my emerald crab has been eating the GSP polyps or something. There is plenty of algae in my tank for it and sometimes I fed him spirulina formula. And this started since he had molted. I believe he will eat all my GSP I can't be at home all the time watching him, but I just saw him nipping at the GSP skeleton and I pushed him away of it with an stick and gave him some food.

I believe my emerald crab has been eating the GSP polyps or something. There is plenty of algae in my tank for it and sometimes I fed him spirulina formula. And this started since he had molted. I believe he will eat all my GSP I can't be at home all the time watching him, but I just saw him nipping at the GSP skeleton and I pushed him away of it with an stick and gave him some food.
That's interesting. Mine only goes after the junk that settles in between the polyps. Are you seeing the GSP tissue degrading or regressing?

That's interesting. Mine only goes after the junk that settles in between the polyps. Are you seeing the GSP tissue degrading or regressing?
I thought mine was doing the same, but I just saw him nipping the pink mat of the coral. Now, I believe this is the reason why the GSP Is not opening. :(:cry:

It could be but it's very odd. I've never heard of or seen them go after a coral.
You could trap him and in a soda bottle with holes poked all over it for water flow for a day or two and see if they open then.

It could be but it's very odd. I've never heard of or seen them go after a coral.
You could trap him and in a soda bottle with holes poked all over it for water flow for a day or two and see if they open then.
Now I'm sure his the problem. I saw him again eating the coral's mat when the lights went out. I went to my laptop to see the pictures I took of the corals two weeks ago and I've compared them with how it looks now. And he has eaten a lot of the coral's edges I couldn't believe it when I saw the two pictures. I fed him a lot today and still it wasn't enough for him. I believe he develops a taste for it, one from which he won't come back now I know. He's out of my tank and he won be coming back. The next could be my duncas or the candy coral. I will take no more risks.

I had to pull the rock out the tank, but I got him out of it. The stupid crab make me really mad. I posted some pictures so you can see how he has been slowly eating the coral all this time.

2013-12-11 04.18.34.jpg2013-12-26 20.37.53.jpg2013-12-28 21.53.42.jpg2014-01-05 21.26.27.jpg

WOW !!
He has eaten a lot of it what a jerk. The mat looks very healthy too. You have a rouge crab on your hands you should give him to my cat.

Back