My anti "IRS" 300 gallon build

bjohanson1234, I do have a right side access to the refugium. the panel does come off to get to everything.

Figured you would, but I know that sometimes people over look things such as having to replace pumps or ballasts, and then bury them behind things that arent easy to move.

Just trying to look out for you :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the great comments.
Piratefish, I was planning to do all sps, but the rockwork is a little too high to do only sps in my mind, so it will be a mix of everything. I love acropora but I also like lps. I will see how it plays out. Once this tank is mature, I will be building a 180 gallon sps only.
For some reason, my lighting seems very dim, almost like 175 watt halides instead of 250. Not sure whats going on. I have to look into a par meter. It does not look like it will support sps. The mushrooms are halfway up the tank and they seem to be reaching for more light. Hmmm...

Figured you would, but I know that sometimes people over look things such as having to replace pumps or ballasts, and then bury them behind things that arent easy to move.

Just trying to look out for you :mrgreen:
I appreciate that. I have done exactly that in the past. I boxed everything in and had no way to even get the skimmer cup out. :frustrat:

I have 2x 250w and 1 400w on my tank..same depth as yours..My 250's are ok....but If I didn't have the 400 in the middle I'd be asking alot of them too.

Here are some recent additions to the aquarium. I know my photography skills need work and I only had the actinics on for a few of the pics. But at any rate, I have added green star polyps, 7 blue green chromis, 2 osc clowns, mated pair of diamond gobies, a yellow tang and the mushrooms. I will be adding the following fish within the next couple of months. Naso tang, orange shoulder tang, sailfin tang, bellus angel, wattenabei angel, and a foxface. Most likely some Barteletts anthias for some more nice schoolers.

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

I just picked up a 6-7 inch Naso and a small blue tang. They are quarentined and will be going in this week.

Cant wait to get a group pics with these guys. And a few more surprises will be showing up over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
wow i am experiencing some mild tank envy now with my 180gallon nano over here! looks great! love the naso. anything naso is the best in my book (naso, naso vlamingi, unicorn tang. great work so far!!

wow i am experiencing some mild tank envy now with my 180gallon nano over here! looks great! love the naso. anything naso is the best in my book (naso, naso vlamingi, unicorn tang. great work so far!!

LOL, i know right! My 130 feels so inadequate now.
Awesome build.

If i had a 300 it would be filled with tangs.

Man. My midget legs could totally swim laps in that ocean! Great set up :D How's the miracle mud working out for you? I have some in my fuge, but if I could do it again, I'd skip the mud, and just do rubble and sand. You're supposed to replace 20% of it every year or so.

Back