My anti "IRS" 300 gallon build

Exactly.

You can do anything you want with it...just leave the ends of the PVC open so they'll sink...

Just a thought for you....you could build an island in the middle of your tank, and actually place a powerhead on each side of it if you want to. With only the front of the powerhead sticking out so it's barely visible.

That way you keep great circulation in a very long tank, and can't see the powerheads. They also make fake rocks (that look like real rocks) that will hold a powerhead if you wanted to do something like that.

How do you camouflage the pvcs? And I know this is completely irrelevant, but do you have any trouble with your blue jaw trigger being aggressive?

Last edited:
To camouflage the PVC you make the rocks go all the way around it. It's easy...Once you start you'll understand.

Talking about my Trigger is never irrelevant.:D Blue Throats are reefsafe, I'm not even sure they should actually be in the trigger family. You get the look of a trigger with the personality of a church mouse. He's a great fish. I highly recommend them.

On a side note, he fears nothing...But he doesn't throw his weight around. I can reach in the tank at anytime and pet him..He just don't care. He's awesome.

Hi PRC. You are confusing me with Sir Alex. The rock in my 300 is fine. Sir Alex "hijacked" so to speak. That is where the confusion is. His tank has the rock issue, so all is good here. Sir Alex, epoxy will work in conjuction with the pvc or acrylic dowels.

Hi PRC. You are confusing me with Sir Alex. The rock in my 300 is fine. Sir Alex "hijacked" so to speak. That is where the confusion is. His tank has the rock issue, so all is good here. Sir Alex, epoxy will work in conjuction with the pvc or acrylic dowels.

Oh, well sorry, I just didn't want to start a new thread about it.

New toy added last night. "Torch" roughly a little smaller than a football.

IMG_3176.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

I've heard great things about that Tunze wavebox, although I've never actually had one. Somebody on here has one, he said He'll never use anything else ever again.

That's a pretty good endorsement.

And if you're planning on keeping alot of your namesake corals (sps). I don't think you can go wrong with the wavebox. It's certainly going to give you the ability to control and make turbulent flow, which is obviously what they love.

I have seen them all go back to the Tunze powerheads. I am currently running a pair in my tank, and wouldn't even consider the Vortechs. IMO, the Vortechs are loud, and the biggest draw back for me is they are not "direction adjustable". That being said, the Wave Box is also a great little piece of equipment, and I have never ever heard anything negative about it.

Would you go with the wavemaker and 2 powerheads or 3-4 powerheads and no wavemaker? Or what combo would you go with? I dont want to blast my torch but I need some controllable flow. Thanks for the replies by the way. You guys are very helpful.

You're going to need alot more powerheads that 2 or 4 in a 300g tank. Unless they're monster powerheads.

I'd go four, and connect them through a controller like the 7095(?). That is how mine ate set up, you can adjust the flow of each one independently, and set it for wavemaker mode

I heard the 7095 controller will control 2 on one outlet, so that 2 of them have to function the same. Is that right? And are you saying I should not get the wavebox if I use 4 powerheads? Do the Tunze controllers allow the powerheads to ramp up and down like an mp60? Any video of your tank. I need to see how they act towards lps.Thanks for the replies again.

Last edited:
Back