My biological filtration is affected since i do some changes in the decoration ???

minajaguar

Reefing newb
My biological filtration is affected since i do some changes in the decoration of the rocks .. may be rearranging the rocks lead to loss of some bacteria .
as a result my nitrite increases ,cloudy water and my skimmer stop producing foam ...
can anyone please discuss this to me and what happened to the skimmer ????
30 gallon tank
3 months old

Re: My biological filtration is affected since i do some changes in the decoration ??

Cloudy water would be due to particulates on the rocks and sand that got disturbed and released into the water column. Same with nitrates if you disturbed the sand bed and if you don't have enough flow in your tank to keep things from settling all over/behind your rocks. This could also effet the skimmer, as well as anything you might have had on your skin (soap, lotion, etc). The water will clear within a few hours usually.

How long has your skimmer stopped working?

Re: My biological filtration is affected since i do some changes in the decoration ??

since the water start cloudy .. 3 days

I agree with D2. Moving around the rock most likely caused you to stir up the sand. If you stir up the sand you can get a minni cycle.

If your water has been cloudy for 3 days then it could be a bacterial or algae bloom. What color is the cloudiness? And I also agree with the others that you likely stirred up crap in your sand by moving stuff around.

Back