My ever coninuing questions thread...

Oh yeah, and 18 watts of T5 lighting ontop of there, pretty cool little light. 18 watts on 4 gallons, should give me about 4.5 watts a gallon If i want a little piece of coral in there I frag off or find somewhere.

Ah that is a good idea! I remember watching videos of those crazy things on youtube when I first started the hobby and thinking wow... If I did go that route, which I think would be really awesome right now, I wouldnt be able to keep another living creature in there would I? what about snails? Id like to have at least a few snails if possible to clean the tank, some little nassarius and maybe 1 glass cleaner. will anything be able to to live in that tank with that monster?

dang. Is there any kind of miniature octopus I could seal the top and that would be cool. But i'm thinking most grow to be pretty big don't they?

Lol, yeah! good plan. They have a few at the LFS in tanks about this size actually. they appear to be VERY happy with their living arrangements. Always wedged under a rock and scared shitless... And like anyone is going to buy them around here, the only person in town with a 180 gallon tank is the LFS owner, the next biggest is my friends dads 75... and hes got 2 of them, both about 8" long

Next question is, anyone on the forum have a problem mantis shrimp you've been looking at getting rid of by chance?? Ill pay for the shipping if anyones interested! I think my chances of finding one around here at a pet store are 1 in a million or 2.

chances are you will not wait to fill it. That just seems to be your style. If you are feeling frisky, try a seahorse or a pipefish. A sohal would look great too, but the tank might be too big, maybe a queen parrotfish or a jack of somekind.

in all seriousness, look at pipefish or seahorses for something that small. Maybe a purple firefish. Can't wait to see if full of something next week.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

If something is available and the tanks stable and decent ill put it in, otherwise if i wanna wait and find a mantis shrimp that would be cool. Liveaquaria says they grow to 4" with the lime green mantis shrimp, wouldnt that be kind of large for this tiny of a tank? a small seahorse tank would be pretty cool too. any suggestions on the smallest growing sea horses? also ease of care would be nice, I guess the main problem is that they are out competed for food normally and thats why people dont keep them. But in a tank of just a seahorse they should be fairly easy shouldnt it?

Anyone on the forums keep a mantis shrimp? From what it looks like the seahorse idea would be pretty cool, but most of them get up to 6+ inches and are recommended a min of 30 gallon aquariums. There is 1 single species I found that are very tiny. I do have that other small tank I got from the auction that has held water for the last few days as well, a whopping 1 gallon bigger... I could step it up a notch and up to a 5 gallon.I think it would still fit under my desk, but the 4 is already a tight fit with the hang on filter. I got a few good ideas so far from other people, if anyone else has any ideas let me know! So far I like the killer shrimp idea...

I think Reef has a mantis.... maybe wrong, I was thinking about turning my 12 gallon nano into a mantis tank after the 125 is stocked and runnin good... Gotta find one first...

my lfs has them from time to time. They seem to spend a lot of time sticking a broom handle in just to hear it snap at it.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Maybe ill see if my LFS can order one up for me, he really has been pushing to get my business over foster and smith. God he just goes off about that place, and I would like to support local business and all. I'm about to head to bed, got class in the morning, hopefully my chaeto comes in tomorrow! And i'm sure yote will show up in this thread by tomorrow or I'll try PM'ing him. I'm thinking right now ill switch over to that 5g tank tomorrow just for the little bit of extra room, it says the lime green mantis gets up to 4" so im sure he would appreciate the extra few inches to SMASH things. ahh! From what it looks like I'll go with a deep sand only bed and a few small live rocks.

Mantis shrimp don't need all that much space because they pretty much stay in the same place all the time. They come out of their "den" to catch prey and that's about it. They don't really explore all that much. They do need a "cave" of live rocks to live in though.

Alright I cant sleep and I have a big midterm tomorrow, whats the only thing that makes sense? Sit online on living reefs of course. I think I'll talk to my LFS and see if he can order a lime green mantis (they are the smallest I think) in his next order, which probably wont be for quite some time. So Ill just concentrate on the main tank for a while. My algae is getting a lot better. doing a few extra water changes, and my chaeto should be here tomorrow I hope. What should I think about next? I havent added anything for a while, I think I wanna concentrate on some more corals, something that looks more exciting than the kenya and the mass pile of xenia that always seem to jump off the rocks and gather in a big pulsing field in the substrate together. The frogspawn is doing good as well, what do you guys think I should look into next? The LFS had some nice candy cane coral that the guy said would do fine, but I know that according to him everything will be perfect for my tank... I kinda wanna concentrate on covering up some rocks, maybe some kind of colony polyps or something? I could use some color on these rocks. What you guys think I should get? Oh, and the LFS guy charges 10$ for 1 thing of candy cane coral, 10$ per head or what ever it is considered, so I dont think I'll be covering any rocks with that anytime soon, unless they grow SUPER fast...

Back