My ever coninuing questions thread...

mushrooms are super fast growing. There are very pretty ones as well. Worth a look.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Green star and yellow star polyps also grow like they are on steroids. THey cover up rocks at an abusive rate. I think they are quite pretty and have them in my angel tank.

I just saw a thread where someone got some mushrooms and they are beautiful blue, almost like the mangle of my clam. That would be cool! My friends 25 gallon cube crashed a little bit ago, he lost all his fish and couldnt figure out why. then his corals started to die, so he pulled those and saved them. here he had too thick of a sand bed and some kind of toxins built up and wiped everything out. He found an insane deal in town somehow. He got a 55 gallon with 100 lbs of live rock (almost half tonga) stocked, its got 2 beautiful black clowns, a watchman and mandarin goby, a foxface, and a sailfin tang or something like that. The lady he got it from was neglecting the tank bad, and he saved the poor things. The foxface looks really bad off, he is very skinny and losing his color. Also he got everything she had with the tank, bags of chemicals, test kits, a really nice wet/dry trickly sump with a built in skimmer. Id say not a bad buy for 200$, jeez, the live rock alone was worth that. Well he broke a coral he had when he was moving everything over and I forgot the name of it, hopefully someone can give me a little hint. He said stick it in between some rocks in medium current and it should grow quick, he got a small one and he said it grew a lot in about 3-4 months.
Aquarium237.jpg

Also, why is my frogspawn starting to turn colors? There is a stripe of brownish or weird color running through it, is that normal?
Aquarium240.jpg

That's a montipora. They need high light and high flow. They do grow very quickly under the right conditions.

I don't know why your frogspawn is changing colors. As long as it is extending and growing and not dying, it's okay. Corals will change colors to adjust to different lighting.

Man, that algae! OUT. OF. CONTROL. Welcome to the AFT, you fit right it!! ;)

That rock with the frogspawn was the spawn of satan's algae in my tank. That rock was covered when I got it from the LFS. after that my tank started filling up, but its getting better now... My chaeto had better be here by tomorrow at least... Im holding off on phosphate remover pouches for 20$ a piece at the LFS in hopes 4 oz of dry weight chaeto will clear up my algae

Don't count on the chaeto making your hair algae disappear -- it won't. Macroalgae will help to maintain an algae free tank, but it alone is not going to clean it up.

So I should go pick up some of that phosban or something similar to that? If its cutting back on the phosphates shouldn't my excessive amount of turbos be able to chow down on the hair algae then?

I've not seen a turbo yet that will eat hair algae.
Those damn things are usless as tits on a boar hawg.

hahaha !!!!! i love my turbos. they look really cool. but im gunna have to agree with you they dont do a damn bit of good with hair algae from my experiance

Dr. Marco is the only person who thinks turbos eat hair algae. I say go with a sea hare! Take it back to the store when its job is done.

Dr. Marco isn't the only one,my three turbos cleaned the hair out of the algae.Yes pun intended,just dunno why it doesn't work for them.

proof is in the pudding. My nem rock started sprouting hair algae yesterday and the rock started to look like importknights tank. I bought ONE turbo today and the rock is 1/3 clean in 3 hours. I will post a pic tomorrow if there is any hair algae left. I don't know what you guys are talking about. Mexican turbos are hair algae eating machines. Sorry, but I have to disagree with all of you, except for Reef. He is dead on (as usual)

Right now im watching my snails on that rock, the super hairy one. The turbo is just chilling, no hard evidence yet if he is mowing the grass growing on it or not. But the nassarius is chugging away, I'm not sure if he's pushing all the hair algae down and flattening it, or if hes actually consuming it. But its really going down where he has traveled.

The nassarius wouldn't be eating hair algae... They shouldn't even be on the rocks. They bury themselves in the sand. Are you sure you got nassarius snails?

Back