My ever coninuing questions thread...

Oh yeah they definately are. I got them on 2 occasions. At night once the lights go out they appear out of the substrate and start up the walls and rocks. Or when I put in frozen food, they all start popping up everywhere.
http://www.peteducation.com/images/articles/p_nassarius_snails_combo.jpg[IMG]
This is what they look like.

or my idea of adding IMG tags to the source location of a picture wont work at all... I'll try again.
p_nassarius_snails_combo.jpg

Alright I got some phos-zorb today, the directions are kinda vague. Its to treat 55 gallons of water, but it doesnt say anything about how long to leave it in. It says replace every 6-8 weeks. The other stuff, the Kent Marine stuff that was 40$ said not to leave it in for more than 8 hours at a time or something like that. Should I just put this in my hang on filter and leave it in for 6-8 weeks after activating it?

"But it also says when not in use you can put it back in the bag, it doesnt harm it if it dries out"
Why would you have it not in use if you leave it in the whole time? thats what confused me, that and the kent marine stuff said "don't leave in for more than 2 days" or leave in for between 8 hours and not longer than 2 days.I guess I'll just leave it in, it cant really do any damage having too much phosphate removal can it?

Exactly. There are different types of phosphate removal media. The Kent Marine stuff says don't leave in for more than two days because after that, it will start leaching the trapped phosphate back into the tank, not because it will take too much out. Don't worry about what the Kent Marine one says, you didn't buy that one. Just follow the directions for the one that you bought.

Alright. And my chaeto came in today! wooo!
Here are some pics of my sump, now pretty much ready to go finally. What do you guys think? Should I keep the blue and white filter floss in the baffles, or keep it out? It is a hassle cleaning it every other day almost, but it gets grown and nasty very quick, so that seems to me like its worth it. But with it gone the water flows MUCH better, not over the bubble traps and the level in the pump section rose almost 2 inches just from the flow. Which reminds me I just check my skimmer and its going crazy filling the cup... Good thing I thought of it before work.
Aquarium244.jpg

Aquarium246.jpg

Should I get more rocks for the bottom too? I was thinking maybe a few more lbs in there, and a few more lbs in the display. I saw my friends tank with 100 lbs in a 55 and it actually looked really good with more rock. I thought I would like it with more open room, but I like the look of more rock now. So I think when I get some more money after working this weekend I might pick up a bit more.

Biff, maybe move this thread to the tank build section. It seems to be turning into such

-Doc

Title : the erratic tank build! *starring* the crotchety old man from the LFS and his wacky antics! *co starring* hot import knight

that was cute Red. I think you missed your calling in life. You should have been a writer.

-Doc

actually, in Hollywood, the writers are going on strike. Maybe you can pick up some free-lance work with those spiffy ideas of yours

-Doc

I don't really mind where it is either way. As long as I get the same exceptional service as usual you can put in in the recycle bin... Its not exactly a tank build, but more of a big thread where I just keep "testing your guys knowledge".
Onto the next test:
I kinda want at least 1 more fish, what would be a good option? I killed my chances of any angel due to the clam and all I'm thinking, along with mainly a soft coral focus. So far we have: 2 false perc clowns, royal gramma, 6-line. They are begging for 1 more friend! I Really love the tangs and angels, but it will be at least 2 1/2 years before I buy a house that I can keep a BTC entry in. I'm already freaking out about moving to LaCrosse next fall to finish my business degree. I think I'm gunna keep both 55 gallon tanks I have now (the 9$ one I picked up) and set it up and then transfer over to the slightly bigger one, but I guess im stuck there from coming home all summer, because I'm not gunna move my tank 2 times a year!
Alright back on track. (I told the doctor I have ADD but he still didnt give me any good meds for it, doc can you help?)
So someone either needs to genetically engineer a blue hippo tang or some sort of tang to stunt its growth at about 3" max... Or I need some ideas, my LFS doesnt have much to look at to help decide. the pygme angels are kinda cute, and a bright blue, but im still afraid the little guy will get crazy with my clam and soft corals...

My coral beauty angel hasn't touched either of my clams yet.

If you really want a tang, you could get a small yellow tang. It will take awhile before it outgrows your tank (but it will eventually).

I thought about the yellow tang. They are really cool fish, that tank my friend got for 200$ stocked had a few tangs in it, but it was a very irrisponsibly managed tank by the first owner. It also had a foxface in it that looked like he had been to hell and back. I originally planned on having a huge tank so I could put a tang in here and have a new tank before he outgrew it, but then I started thinking realistically and that not many dorms or student housing areas have floors strong enough, let alone room and moveability for a 200+ gallon tank. Whats the smaller side of the yellow tangs? and how long do you think it would take to be unhappy in my tank? Id say a fish any more than 4" would be pretty disappointed with the turning radius in my 12" deep tank...

Oh speaking of coral beauty, i really LOVE the fire angel, they are beautiful fish. anyone wanna buy a small one and house it with your clams and soft corals and if he doesnt touch any after a month I'll give you 5$ more for him? Lol. Lets see who has had experience with them and clams and soft corals, I hear a lot of success stories about them being fine. But you are always warned, so there must be something to it.

Back