My ever coninuing questions thread...

I believe it would be diatoms then, its a rust color kinda, i used my gravel vacuum and removed a vast majority of it. Ive got a LOT more circulation now, so that should help, before all i had was my return/overflow and that cheap little hang on filter.

Diatoms will just appear once in a while. Then they will just disappear. Not much you can do about it, except let them take their course.

Man, that piece of rock I got from the LFS's main coral tank today is covered in hitchhikers. I just watched 2 bristle worms scampering aorund, think my 6 line will take care of them?

Oh really? I always thought they were a huge nuisance from what it sounded like... Well if they are good that rock is pretty full of them I think.

I'm with biff.... we are bristleworm lovers! and your sixline may eat them..... that all depends on if he feels like it, and if they are small enough. if he is getting fed enough, chances are he wont care too much.. either way bristleworms are good. I have hundreds.. literally.

and 1408 wasn't creepy.... I actually fell asleep

lights are out, bristleworms are out in droves sitting on the rock I got today. There are some wierd tentacles creeping around out of a hole in the rock, pretty long and look almost striped...
I tried snapping a pic in the dark, look right above the coral, what is this creature from the depths?
Aquarium168.jpg

some sort of worm? or what.

Those stringy things are spaghetti worms. Reef safe, you'll eventually see them all over. That striped thing definitely looks like a baby serpent star to me. It could also be a weirdly colored bristleworm, but I'll say serpent star just to make you happy! The pinkish one on the right is definitely a bristleworm.

Does the striped thing look like it has little hairs growing off of it?
If it does then its probablely a brittle star.

its one of those deadly toxic stars off the coast of japan. they hate light and if they get startled will release toxins that will crash your entire tank..... just kiddin, wanted to freak you out

Lol nice. I would believe it though with the way my tank goes. Yeah that rock is pretty interesting at night. that little tentacle did have hairs on it. So once it grows up to be big and strong I can get rid of the green death star if hes giving me problems... Anyone ever have brittle stars that small in their tank?

I just read one of those articles on starfish and was wondering if I should throw some raw fish in my tank tonight for my serpent to eat, before he gets too hungry and wants to devour everything? I picked up some frozen halibut fillets and smelt (which are like silversides If i remember right). I was gunna make some frozen food, but for the price it costs to get a package at foster and smith its cheap enough to buy it. 3.50 isnt bad, and my fish only need hell, 1/8 the cube for a good feeding...

I have hundreds of those little brittles in my tank. they are very common hitchhikers and rarely come all the way out of the rock. if I'm thinking of the same kind they just stick their arms out to catch food passing by. very harmless and don't grow large

Your star will love you forever if you feed it. I also feed mine pieces of krill, chopped up squid, and scallops. Basically, it will eat anything that's big enough for it to grab with it's arms. I take feeding tongs, and place the food on it's arms, and it curls its arms around the food and snatches it up.

I just got back from the LFS, he just got his shipment in, im not sure if its a good idea to buy the fish with out him even acclimating them, or is it better to skip the middle man and go strait to my tank? Anyways I picked up a cute little royal gramma, and 5 or 6 turbo snails, I'm finally getting scum on the glass of my tank, so they will have something to eat. Man he got in a flame angel, what a beautiful fish... I wanna start another tank just for sweet fish that wont get along in my tank...

Mine use to come out during feeding time. But I started feeding it with tongs so it doesn't any more. I think I spoiled it.

Back