My ever coninuing questions thread...

yeah im sure living reefs is swarming with P.E.T.A. members.

P.E.T.A.=People Eating Tasty Animals.
Yeah I'm a member:mrgreen:

The green brittles are like a lot of other things we all keep.50/50 to weather or not you'll have a problem with it.

well im that 50, i just got home from partying and noticed a hermit ontop of a bunch of whiskers.... there went my 20$ shrimp, THAT GODDAMN STAR SHIT HES GOING BACK TOMORROW

or.... my shrimp shed again, twice in 4 days? and my starfish just happens to be eating his exoskeleton in his normal place. my shrimp relocated to my overflow box for refuge I guess? God, now im all worked up, the star is already in the refuge for time out....

I put him back in the display and apologized to him... my shrimp not apparentely lives at the top of the tank, probably to avoid that death star...

luckily my clowns float at the top of the tank behind the return from the pump in a vertical position (i was scared the first time I saw that, i thought they were dead) but thats what they like I guess, they have done that since i got them and been fine every day... pray before bed my wrasse is alert enough to avoid the death star. Once the first night is over Ill be able to rest easier I think...

I'm so happy I can't read into your mind.... the way you talk things out to yourself via multiple posts, your mind must be going a million miles a minute

I picked Up that frogspawn I was looking at yesterday, got a nice piece of live rock with it, but its got green algae all over it, is that healthy? my tank as of now has zero algae yet. I'm not sure where to position it yet, i found a nice spot that made a really nice cave behind it, but i think it may be getting too much flow yet.
At the LFS he had it under like no current at all. maybe ill move one of my xenia somewhere else and put it in the most calm corner, does that sound like a good idea? here are some pics, it isnt opened up yet, but its really cool colored, he had some under big huge fluorescent bulbs and this one under halidaes, and this one was really clear and bright white looking compared to the others cause he said it doesnt have to eat as much food and can absorb more from the light. well nix moving the biggest xenia to put the frogspawn there, its already anchored to the rock pretty good... Think it will be ok in the moderate flow its getting now? I gotta upload these pics and run back to class! god college cuts into my aquarium time.
Aquarium166.jpg

Aquarium165.jpg

And also a news update, the death star didnt claim any victims last night, but when i came home drunk he was on the prowl all over the tank. I'm so happy I got my first really colorful cool looking coral now! cant wait till it opens up!

The frogspawn looks good.I'm sure it'll look great when it opens up.

And you'll get your fight with algae,just give it time.Its a right of passage to have a fight with algae.

How long will it normally take for a coral like this one to open? I just got home from class and its still pretty curled up. Could it be because its in too much flow?

Also the guy at the LFS was in a really good and nice mood today and mentioned hes getting in a shipment tomorrow. He asked If i wanted a cleaning crew, he could get me one at his cost even and just have me pick it up, but the smallest one was around 125 critters, lots of crabs too... I told him to get one and id buy a bunch of snails from him. Also hes getting in some fish Im kinda interested in. Finally some Royal Grammas(which I really like) and he mentioned a pygmy angelfish, which he said is kind of like the flame angel, only about 1/3 the size. The pictures Ive just looked up of them are deep bright blue though?
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish
But im not sure if he was just referring to another kind of dwarf angel. What do you guys think of that one? saltwaterfish.com said reef safe: monitor. I like the blue coloring, really bright and beautiful.

It can take corals a couple of days to open up.I wouldnt worry about it unless it took 4 or 5 days.

Those Pygmy angels are a cool little fish.Just keep in mind that it IS an angel and there for may take a likin to coral flesh..
From looking at the pics of your tank,I dont think you need 125 clean up critters just yet.If you add to many and they start starving to death they could cause you another cycle.

Oh yeah I know, thats why I told him I didnt need near that many, so id buy a portion from him. Is this brown crap on the bottom of my tank normal? Its a coating ontop of my substrate, ive got a gravel vac and im starting to clean it up a little bit cause it started getting bad in the last day or 2...

Yep,Thats more than likely diatoms.There a normal part of a new tank and will go away on there own.
You'll find that you'll have several stages of algaes and diatoms as your system matures.

Is the brown crap slimy and like a carpet? If so, then it's cyano, or red slime algae. Is it dusty and rust-colored? If so, then it's diatoms. Diatoms will come and go on their own, and as your tank matures, you will get them less often. With slime algae, you have to be proactive in getting rid of it, i.e. adding more circulation, doing more water changes, feeding less, etc. It's a bitch to get rid of. I've been battling cyano in my tank for a month now.

For a cleaner crew, I would start with maybe 30 snails/crabs TOTAL. If you find you need more, then you can add more later. But like Yote said, a lot of people buy huge cleaner crews, then they all starve to death and pollute the tank.

I agree with Yote on the pygmy angel -- they are known to take out corals. Buy at your own risk. I, personally, would not put one in my tank.

Back