My first problems

here's a pic with these spots. Before the phosphates spike i am remember that it just has released the skin. Sometimes it is producing a fine coat of skin that peels of whitin 24 hours. And it didn't had this spots.
Uff everything has happen from the ditilated water i am sure about it. The distilated water is boiled in copper containers and i am sure there must be something wrong here. :-(
I hope my beautiful coral isn't dying !

Attachments

• IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
here's a pic with these spots. Before the phosphates spike i am remember that it just has released the skin. Sometimes it is producing a fine coat of skin that peels of whitin 24 hours. And it didn't had this spots.
Uff everything has happen from the ditilated water i am sure about it. The distilated water is boiled in copper containers and i am sure there must be something wrong here. :-(
I hope my beautiful coral isn't dying !

I think that coral is molting. It's a shroom, and mine molts all the time, stays closed sometimes too. Pick it up and hold it in the blast of a powerhead. I've even scrubbed mine with a toothbrush, gently!!!. You have basically an undergravel filter going on in my opinion. You have carried over a lot of fresh water traits...I did the same thing. The poo cant get into the sand like that coral.

Why dont you just call Foster's and Smith and get the stuff you need, instead of spinning the coral you have now??? I'd be affraid of just putting the same nitartes back in the tank.

And you still need to remove the rock, this is the same thread with the nails in the tank from a friend live rock?? Or am I confused again.

the spots are insight not on top of it. I dunno i am going to watch it closely.

1) Have someone tried the idea of no sand and no crushed corals in the tank?
Only live rocks?
I was thinking of that. No left overs no messy stuff. Are the live rocks enaught to mantaining a good PH?

2) how about building a fake bottom? Like a fine coat of sand sticked by a plastic
sitting on the bottom?

1) Have someone tried the idea of no sand and no crushed corals in the tank?
Only live rocks?
I was thinking of that. No left overs no messy stuff. Are the live rocks enaught to mantaining a good PH?

Yep, that's called a bare bottom tank. Some people do that because it's easier to keep clean.

The live rocks, crushed coral and sand do not do much to maintain pH. Your water's pH has to be very low to start dissolving those materials. So low that everything else in your tank would already be dead by the time that happens. A little dissolution happens, but not enough to impact the tank's pH.

nother question i have. When do we know when a rock is fully cured?
When coralline appears?

I already start having corallines. Tests now are fine no ammonia, no nitrates no, phosphates or copper. Would i still be required to take out all the rocks and cure them or buying some others?

Your rock is cured when it no longer has stuff on it that's dying off. That means ammonia and nitrites at zero. Your rock sounds like it's cured.

i've just noticed that my pest anemones are no longer there. I have had a spike of them before and now i can only see a few.
Is it a good sign or bad?

and believe me guys i had no problems until a few days ago when i start using distilated water ! The very second day i start seeing unusable things! :-(

The great thing about bare bottom tanks is that you will not get detritus traps but I think the presence of LR outweighs the benefits or bare bottom tanks. Aquascape LR so that you don't get any detritus traps. Push water under the LR and avoid closed holes int he rock.

Yote is probably right - the switch to distilled water had nothing to do with your algae issue.

ok so the phosphate spike was caused by the coraline algae. I can today see all the rocks having green and pink coraline starting. Tney have probably killed the previous algae and grass wich have eliminate phosphates and nitrates.
All cool today.
The spots on the coral can be removed by finger touch. I'll let him until he peels them itself if that is ok
I'll keep you guy in touch

Thanks for these great infos and help

I think he can't just order it because he's in Canada, and as far as I know, Drs F&S don't ship to Canada.

That's right, I've emailed them before and they won't ship anything live to Canada, but dry goods they will.

And from a previous post $4.39 or something for live rock, WOW, I'll only say this once, I wish I was in Toronto. Beat's the $10/lb I pay.

Back