My first reef tank

Amonia levels are going down. they are between .25 and 0 closer to 0. Nitrite is also going down slightly. looks like just below 1ppm a little movement. I also have lots of brown stuff growing on everything now. I remember you guys saying thats normal and it will go away. I do have some things like tubes growing on some of the rocks maybe 4-5 total. they are def getting longer and are white. Sound farmilar to anyone?

Sounds like feather dusters! A cool hitchhiker.

And you cycle is getting towards the end!

The brown stuff is diatoms, they are common at the end of a cycle. As long as you arent using tap water, they will go away on their own!

Well I think they are feather dusters as well. I have not seen the big one's come out yet but the tubes keep getting bigger. I started looking and there are about 10 small ones that are extended with the feathers all out. REALY COOL. ( sorry got excited) I have been looking for pics on the net to compare and feather dusters seem to be the best match. No tap water either. I have a bunch of small stuff growing so I will need some help with id a little later.

Tank looks real ugly Lots of brown junk over everything. The feather duster looking things are all over one rock,I now count at least 20 of them. I also have these white tubes that look like they were made from the sand bed. They are getting longer and they have this long stringy clear looking thing that comes out and feels around, picks up bits of sand and feels everything and then goes back inside I see about 7 or 8 now. Also the amonia level is now 0 but the nitrite is still high between 1 and .50 Once the amonia reaches 0 does it take long for the nitrite to drop? Just wondering because i would like to get a cleanup crew soon to try and get things looking better.

The brown dusties are diatoms and they will go away on their own in a couple of weeks. If you are using tap water they might not go away.

The tubes made of sand are no big deal, interesting little hitchhiker, i wouldnt worry about them or the feather dusters.

Also, it takes every tank a different amount of time to cycle, just be patient :) i know its hard

Back