My First Salt Water Tank 29 Gallon!!!

You have some great looking live rock. Great choice. I would suggest adding a powerhead in the back corner of the tank. You need more water movement than what you have.

You need to briskly agitate the surface water for oxygen exchange and gas diffusion, hence, a skimmer will address both these issues for you. good luck have fun, time for your clean up crew to deal with the algae/diatom bloom. start slow and do not add too many cleaners too quickly.

Yeah tomm i am going to go look at a skimmer and a powerhead. How many cleaners should i start with and what kind? Also how long should my tank be set up befour any corals?

i would look to buy all this stuff online because it will be WAAAAY cheaper... my local fish stor charges $40 for a powerhead that i can get for $18 online, and for skimmers there is a much bigger difference in price.

Dr. Foster and Smith have good prices and great shipping/customer service. For a skimmer an Octopus BH100 would be good for your tank, thats what i have and im
very pleased with it. For powerheads, Koralia's are very nice but MaxiJets are nice also and much cheaper (also what i have - 2 maxijets 600/900).

Look at Dr.Foster and Smith for powerheads and google around for the skimmer.

i would get 1 MJ600 and 1 MJ900, i use my 600 at the top of the water to make ripples and make a current on the top half of the tank, and the 900 is in a corner at an angle (its in the back upper left corner pointed to the bottom front right corner). If you want to get corals you'll need more flow than that probably.

octos are great skimmers i have one and will recommend them to anyone i have the octo 800s if you are intrested it is about 230 so a but spendy but well worth it.

Well i got some fish today 2 clowns and a firefish, purple. Clowns seem a little weard swimming around the top of the tank why could this be?

Back