My Tang Has Ick

Something to do with the cycle of the parasite. It drops off onto the bottom of the tank during the nighttime, I think. That's why a UV light is good in this case to kill them when they're in the water column.

Yea, the main purpose for them are for different things, but from I've read, the ozone would kill bacteria as well.

Ozone/ I see. I didn't know that.
My experience was - for a year or so I battled ick on and off in my large tank. I medicated the tank with reef safe meds and shocked the entire system and lost most all of my fish. I got more. I lost more. I got more and yes I lost more. This was very frustrating to say the least. I guess Tangs are problematic for ick. So finally I got a UV 57watt system, hooked it up and now after about 13 months I still have no ick at all. None. All my fish have lived except a few from my boil. I swear by these UV systems.

Ordered a 55W one. Should be here in a few days.

My tangs are completely clear of the white dots since yesterday. I removed almost all of the sand in the front of tank where I usually mess around with, and also removed enough water (with the sand together) to fill up a 32 gal bucket. That's almost 50% water change.

Another 30 gal of water is being prepared right now and I'll remove more sand and water tomorrow. Ozone will be comes online tonight.

I still have tons of them. They hold onto the sides, rocks and sand and not as much free floating. I'm sure some of them get zapped but most do not.

Ah, true. I do see them crawl along the glass and swim near the corner. But I'm sure there are plenty in the water column as well since all my fishs love to stay in front of the tank and always seems to be catching something to eat.

Back