Nano Cube Lights Out

suchin

Reefing newb
I'm in a tight spot.

I have a 12 gallon nano cubes whose lights have gone out. I am unable to determine how exactly this happened and is happening because the moonlights and fans are still getting enough energyto light them, but the two 50/50 24watt lights at not illuminated. I have checked all of the simple things, outlet strip is providing electricity, internal examination of the ballast (transformer?). There is no apparent water, nor frying of the electrical components in the hood where the lights and fans are located. Everything I took apart looked normal and unfortunately, I'm not electrical engineer so I don't know where to go from here.

Inconveniently, I also have to skip town tomorrow afternoon so I need to figure out the next step quick. If I can't get those lights going, it may cause damage to the soft corals I have in there(mushrooms, polyps, tree corals). It will be a total of 6-7 days before I can get back and even figure something out. There is also a six lines wrasse in the tank.

Local fishstore gonna get some new friends?

What make is the nano? I had the same thing happen to my 29g BioCube (Oceanic). I called Oceanic and they were just great. they sent me a new ballast (it will still power the fan but not the bulb and will 'look' just fine) and a set of replacement parts that may also be causing the porblem - free - no problem - priority mail... just awesome customer service!

Also heard a story at my LFS: they replaced some PC bulbs for a customer who had not changed the previous bulbs in 3 yrs!! and could not get the bulbs out which is why he had brought it it to be changed). They changed the bulbs, turned it on, and the ballasts fried...

So I would take a guess that it's your ballast(s)... I'd call the maunfacturer (JBJ?) and see if they'll help out... for the coming week you might want to think about a visit to your LFS for a small PC fixture and a timer.... I know corals can be ok for a few days without light, but not sure about a week...

How long are you going out of town for?
Corals will be fine for a week or more without lights.I agree with the rest,it sounds like its the ballast.

Thanks guys, I found some pc lights that my neighbor wasn't using for his plants so that should remedy the situation for the time being, or at least until I get back from my trip. I will give JBJ a call and see what they say about replacing the ballast. A little research should ge me back where I need to be.

Thank you for all of your help.

Suchin

Back