Need Coral Advice

SonicGT02

Reefing newb
I was at my LFS this weekend and put a coral on hold, as they just got it in on Thursday 12/3. So, what kind of advise can you give me on a Ruffled Ridge Coral.
It is a great size and extremely bright yellow. Does anyone here have one? As this one is about 6 to 7 inches, how big can they get? I've read that they grow fairly quickly. I just don't want to get in over my head with this one. I think it would look great near my red lobo :D. Also, how long should I have the LFS hold onto it before I move it from their tank to mine?

Looks like a picked a good one!! :^: It would be like the one link you had from Liveaquaria. The biggest difference between that one and the one I'm looking to get, is the brightness of the yellow. Mine is almost neon yellow. Once I pick mine up, I'll be sure to post pictures.

So, does anyone have any answers now ? I was really curious to see if anyone else had this coral.+

Attachments

• p-84042-Ruffled-Ridge-Cora.jpg
    p-84042-Ruffled-Ridge-Cora.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
That a pagoda coral. I've had one for the past 3 months and its doing great. Right now it's at the very top of my tank and a moderate flow area. It opens up pretty large and grew a bit since I've got it. I don't do anything special to take care of it. Seems to be a good coral from what I've experienced. Mine is shaped more like a rounder rock rather than it being cupped like the one pictured.

Good luck with it Sonic. The description states that it is a Difficult coral to care for.

I just noticed that it does say difficult for a care level. Hopefully yours will be like mine and be easy to care for. I do add trace elements, calcium and iodine in addition to various foods such as coral frenzy, liquid plankton and frozen foods.

Since the LFS just got the coral in on 12/3, should I wait to bring it home? I don't want to shock it to much since it just got to the LFS.

As far as the difficult care statement, I don't see anything in the description saying why it would be difficult.

From liveaquaria:

QUICK STATS
Care Level: Difficult
Temperament: Peaceful
Lighting: Moderate
Waterflow: Medium
Placement: All
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Color Form: Green, Tan, Yellow
Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Trace Elements
Origin: Fiji, Tonga
Family: Dendrophylliidae
Polyp Size: SPS - Small Polyp Stony

Since the LFS just got the coral in on 12/3, should I wait to bring it home? I don't want to shock it to much since it just got to the LFS.

As far as the difficult care statement, I don't see anything in the description saying why it would be difficult.

It's on the liveaquaria link, in the top right side of the page across from the picture. It states specification about the coral.

QUICK STATS Care Level: Difficult Temperament: Peaceful Lighting: Moderate Waterflow: Medium Placement: All Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025 Color Form: Green, Tan, Yellow Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Trace Elements Origin: Fiji, Tonga Family: Dendrophylliidae Polyp Size: SPS - Small Polyp Stony

Also, I believe I'm wrong about it being a Pagoda coral. Pagoda's are LPS corals and the ruffled ridge pictured above is a SPS coral. Sorry to miss inform you.

From liveaquaria:

QUICK STATS
Care Level: Difficult
Temperament: Peaceful
Lighting: Moderate
Waterflow: Medium
Placement: All
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Color Form: Green, Tan, Yellow
Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Trace Elements
Origin: Fiji, Tonga
Family: Dendrophylliidae
Polyp Size: SPS - Small Polyp Stony

hahaha...we're on the same page Dave. +1

Looks like a picked a good one!! :^: It would be like the one link you had from Liveaquaria. The biggest difference between that one and the one I'm looking to get, is the brightness of the yellow. Mine is almost neon yellow. Once I pick mine up, I'll be sure to post pictures.

So, does anyone have any answers now ? I was really curious to see if anyone else had this coral.+

If I'm not mistaken,thats a scroll coral " Turbinaria reniformis"

Hicker & dc - I read that on the site, but what do you see there that makes it sound difficult? :dunno:

Yote - What makes you think it's a scroll coral? I'm only calling it a Ruffled Ridge coral, because that is what the LFS called it and what I saw on Liveaquaria. I'm just looking to learn :D

This is a scroll coral or pagoda cup coral. I dont think it`s the same. If this is what you have then it is rated easy on the care level.

018.jpg

OK - I decided not to wait and went and picked up the coral. Here is a picture of it. I'm sure it will look a lot better once it's under the halides, as the atinics don't show the color. It looks green in the picture, but is bright yellow. So what do you guys think??? I haven't gotten any coral in awhile so I'm so excited about this one. :^:
I just LOVE COLOR in my tank!!!

Attachments

• P1070522.JPG
    P1070522.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 280
OK - I decided not to wait and went and picked up the coral. Here is a picture of it. I'm sure it will look a lot better once it's under the halides, as the atinics don't show the color. It looks green in the picture, but is bright yellow. So what do you guys think??? I haven't gotten any coral in awhile so I'm so excited about this one. :^:
I just LOVE COLOR in my tank!!!

Very nice! It looks to be a pretty good size. How big is it?

Back