need some lighting advice

I'm having some issues with Catalina right now, they can come through and solve things easily, or choose not to. I plan on letting everyone on the boards know how things go as they progress. What I will say, my light as is stands right now is neither acceptable nor safe for an aquarium environment. Too bad, because is is soooo close, and they could have a great product with a few minor, inexpensive changes.

Melonbob, what about it is unacceptable? Is this an isolated case or is it an across the board design issue?

Right now the light is zapping me....lol. What is unacceptable to me is that this light does not come with a splash guard or plastic endcaps. This means the unit is not "sealed" against the envionment. There is no option to put endcaps or a splash guard on, I even offered to pay for it. He said the guard will trap too much heat, and says the only option is to cover my tank! i just emailed and asked him if the smaller units have endcaps and a cover, and if they do I am hoping he will let me trade up on two 36" and I will hang them

Its not leaching into the tank, the light itself it zapping me. I get 57 volts when I touch the multimeter to the body of the light

in general i am leary about the ebay light
i have a nova extreme pro on my 90 gallon and its an awesome light

not sure if the lighting is really where i want to save $100.00+/- sometimes its just best to spend the money and get the good product right off the bat
saves you money in the long run

and a health hazard since it shocks you when you touch it and if your hand comes from the tank and is wet and you accidently touch the light you could really harm yourself if not die

Like I said, I am dealing with Catalina right now, and I'll keep you all updated. Overall, I am impressed with the light, and as far as I know the electrical issue could be an isolated incident. How the company deals with issues is what really matters people, and until then, I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I own a nova extreme(not pro) and it is not in the same league as this light. The pro may be better, but even with the problems I'm having, this is alot more impressive light that the novas, for those considering

Back