New 125 pics

Capt,
Looking amazing. I'm truly jealous...
How do you manage all those hard corals?
Thanks.
I don't do anything special or have any fancy equipment. It's all about keeping the system stable. I do a 20g water change every 2 weeks, dose 2-part calcium/alk everyday, have a Ranco temp controller to keep the temp stable and an ATO to keep my salinity from bouncing around. That...and lots of patience. :)

Here's a few updated pics. Nothing much changed except I had to move some corals around to give them more room. They are growing too fast. ;)

ORA Pearlberry I picked up at the swap. The frag was only in the tank about 1 hr before I took this pic.
pearlberry_1-31-10.jpg

I thought this pic of the a.nana turned out pretty cool under actinics only.
nana_2-10.jpg

FTS
fts_2-10.jpg

Left side
fts-lt_2-10.jpg

Right side
fts-rt_2-10.jpg

I figured I would post a few pics showing my new lighting schedule. I think it looks cool. :) (Pardon the pic quality. It's hard to get a good pic with such different lighting in the tank.)

1st the VHO SuperActinics come on at noon.
fts-12_4-10.jpg

At 1 PM, the 1st MH on the left side comes on.
fts-100_4-10.jpg

At 1:30 PM, the middle MH comes on.
fts-130_4-10.jpg

At 2 PM, the right side MH comes on for full power lighting.
fts-200_4-10.jpg

At 8:30PM, the MH on the left, which was the 1st to come on, goes off.
fts-830_4-10.jpg

At 9 PM the middle MH goes off.
fts-900_4-10.jpg

At 9:30 PM the middle MH goes off.
fts-930_4-10.jpg

And 10 PM light are all off.

I was talking to Sanjay at our last swap and I asked him about lighting schedules. He only runs 3 400w MH's with no actinics over his 500g tank and he told me that's how he has them come on and off. He said by not running any supplemental lighting, he didn't want, all of a sudden, lights coming on at full power, then all of a sudden at the end of the day, total darkness.

I've only been running it a few days like this, but it really looks cool. I also get an extra hr of MH lighting (8.5 hrs) but the longest any 1 bulb is on is 7.5 hrs.

Back