new 46 bow front

I have one ballast of T5 lighting that does 10000 lumens is this enough for starter corals in a couple weeks

Lighting will be the most expensive investment in this hobby, and you want to get good lighting the first time around.

Your options are: t5, metal halide and LED
t5 and metal halide will require you to purchase new bulbs every year, but are the cheapest up front. LED are more expensive upfront, but have less impact on your electric bill and dont need to be replaced.
with t5 go for a 6 bulb fixture with individual reflectors. I have a 4 bulb fixture and I find it limiting and i dont really like it.

picked up some aquarium equipment off a guy for 50 bucks. adding another powerhead and about 40 pounds of rock. The live rock was out of water for three weeks before I got it and has some questionable stuff off it. How do I go about cleaning it.

This is some of the rock I got off this guy what is this white worm looking stuff he said the rock has been out of the water for three weeks

Attachments

• 2012-03-03_19-44-54_108.jpg
    2012-03-03_19-44-54_108.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 243
That not live rock anymore....

And its going to need a major cleaning otherwise its going to cycle for a long time because of all the dead stuff on there. I would get a hard bristle toothbrush and scrub off as much of that stuff as you can.

i shall do as you did minus the bleach i will scrub a dub, boil, scrub, boil, and bake. then insert into tank w/ live sand for a month or so flush.

How does that game plan sound?

I ended up bleaching and then I have them in a rubbermaid tote with twenty gallons of just water and I am going to swap water until clorine levels are 0

Back