new 65 gal tank

charmon09

Reefing newb
Hello all,

I have been watching the forums and a member for some time now and it is time to start my first thread. i will be setting up my new tank when it arrives on Wed, I really liked the dimensions of this tank(36x18x24). It is a deep blue brand and i also got the stand that comes with it. Really hoping my sump and skimmer fit under it, the skimmer was taller than i thought it would b. Some of the equipment that i have gotten for this build is a 20L tank for sump, 10gal tank for refugium, reef octopus 150 in sump skimmer, 550 phosban reactor for bio pellet media, a mag drive 7 as the return pump, 2 hydor pumps on a jbj ocean pulse wavemaker, and 50 lbs of dry rock. i will b moving about 30 lbs. of live rock over from my current tank. i will start posting pics when the tank arrives and also any questions that come up on my end. I am looking forward to any advice that i receive. I am super excited about getting a new tank i saved a long lime for this.

The only question that i have right now is that i really want a tang. I know that is not going to happen and i dont think i would be comfortable putting any tang in a 36in. long tank. so my question is what fish would you all suggest that swims around a lot and picks at the live rock to keep it clean?

thanks,

Colton

Not even a tang will really pick at the rocks to keep them clean, that is more the job of your CUC

But chromis are very active and open fish that will do great in that size tank.

below are pictures from of the work i did today. i have made a pvc structure to fit inside the tank and attached some of the rock to it. I am also running my return pump through the pvc and will have several outlets on the towers.

DSCN0614.jpg

Nice rocks! What fish are you drawn to when you go to your LFS? Are you planning on having corals? Do you want peaceful or semi-aggressive fish?

i already have a clown fish that i will be moving to the sump. i am getting two balck clowns once i get the tank. i also currently have a watchman goby and a lawnmower blenny. i want to get another fish or maybe two but i am not in a hurry to put anything else in the tank. as for corals i would like to get some easy to keep corals such as mushrooms and zoas. that will aslo be a slow process. i dont want to add anyhtning to fast.

the tank will arrive on Wed afternoon. i will be posting all the pictures of the setup and moving stuff from the old tank once i get most of the work done.

skimmer is producing a bunch of wet foam. Overflowing collection cup so i took out drain plug and just let it run. is this normal for the break in period?

It will take it a bit before it starts collecting the nasty stuff since the tank is new. Let it run as normal amd it will pull out the cloudy filth from the sand. Once you start adding fish, that wet foam will turn into brown sludge and smell 10 kinds of bad. I also noticed what looks like a bio pellet reactor, If I were you, I would reduce the amount of pellets you have in that cup to about 1/3rd. Only reason I say that is your tank is so new, it doesnt have any nutrients to feed the bacteria that will thrive in the reactor. The reactor is used to eliminate phosphates, but I recently learned that you want to start out with a small fraction of what is recommended and slowly build your way up as the tank progresses. If not, youll run into issues like me where the reactor "ate" most of the beneficial nutrients in my water which is practically starving my SPS corals.

Back